Who is ready for the snow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i measured 20" a while ago. Don't think it drifted there, but wind is blowing. Still snowing.

I ended up with 14" or so here in Brimfield. Forecast called for 12-24. If you give that kind of range, you are bound to be right! Winds not as bad as forecasted, but tough to snow blow with the any wind. Kids had yesterday and today off from school and since I drive truck for a living, my place shut down all day yesterday and my night run to Newark NJ was cancelled. Ct and NY both said no trucks on the highways, gives me time to clean up.
I just finished my third ton of the season and the stove will get a good cleaning this weekend, one week late.

Even if you fight some wind you gotta love a snow blower compared with shoveling LOL ! 40 minutes with the snow blower on my 180 ft driveway + parking spaces, compared with days shoveling in the big storms.. Ya they are amazing machines. The biggest storm we ever got here it took me about 1hr15min. But I'm back on my idea of a Berco blower for my garden tractor. They say the Husqvarna GT isn't outfitted for cold weather running but I bet if you get heat to the carb that's all it needs. And mine has the differential lock too, with some weight and chains it ought to do very well.

Well this storm we ended up with -2" of snow, we got an inch of slush on top of 2" of pre existing ground cover of snow and ice, that all melted to just patches here and there. It got up to 46f deg yesterday evening and it's 25f out now. Looks like some kind of another weather event for the weekend. We're making up for our beautiful Feb weather .

I cleaned my vent a month late this winter ( mid season vent cleaning I usually do in Jan, I went into early Feb), got a lot of ash for this venting system but it wasn't anywhere near plugged.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhammer
I like hearing about all this snow knowing I am not getting any. Ha! It has been cold lately though and we did get a small amount of the white death but nothing even worth counting as a snow. Last winter was good too but the three before last winter were bad here and a bunch of snow.

Y'all can keep that junk up there. I'm all stocked up on snow removal and shoveling. I don't need anymore.

We have used the snow blower three times this year but I'm still all set and won"t hurt my feelings any to drain the gas if we get no more snow.

Reactions: vinny11950
We have been in a deep freeze since the snow and sleet and rain. Now the snow is hard ice and if you didn't dig out the car or shovel right away, you are out of luck.

We have been in a deep freeze since the snow and sleet and rain. Now the snow is hard ice and if you didn't dig out the car or shovel right away, you are out of luck.
Been there, done that. I'd much rather deal with 2 ft. of the fluffy stuff.

Reactions: alternativeheat
The only advantage to having extremes on cold temps, it never does that partial melt that makes the snow heavy and/or turns to ice.

Hey, New England region getting hit again with more snow. Not right.

Ya, parts of the NE are. This time here on the Cape we are getting rain. And it's dry around these parts so that's a good thing, bring some of the ponds back up a bit maybe. It is cold rain, it's only upper 30'sF out.

Last edited:
Hey, New England region getting hit again with more snow. Not right.
I'm hoping this one melts with the warm temps forecasted. Heavy wet stuff that my snowblower won't touch.

I'm hoping this one melts with the warm temps forecasted. Heavy wet stuff that my snowblower won't touch.
Pretty much we "usually" get the heavy wet stuff here on the Cape. My now older Ariens will throw it fine as long as it isn't rain soaked slush. It will sort of move slush too but it isn't much fun. The new Ariens with dual main drive belts they say will do it. I had the dealer look up for a conversion kit for my blower, it wasn't listed. That's another reason I'm interested in the Berco blower for my tractor.

Yup I'm ready for nice weather. Went fly fishing the other day, finished boiling off all my sap from trees and pulled taps

Raked yard, and now snow. But it's good for the grass!

Opening day Monday!

Last time it snowed here, ended up using the blower as a blade to push the road plow windrow off to the sides. Just used the blower once I cleared the pile so the box and chute would be clear. Hoping for no more snow...

We had snow for a while today but it didn't accumulate and it ended as rain thus far..

Pretty much we "usually" get the heavy wet stuff here on the Cape. My now older Ariens will throw it fine as long as it isn't rain soaked slush. It will sort of move slush too but it isn't much fun. The new Ariens with dual main drive belts they say will do it. I had the dealer look up for a conversion kit for my blower, it wasn't listed. That's another reason I'm interested in the Berco blower for my tractor.
Yeah, my 30 year old ariens doesn't normally do the slush either, but I sprayed it with fluid film and got it done. I'd love to get a new one, but friends have reliability issues and I can't shell out the 1,500 right now.

Most of the snow here is gone, but it's too early to be over. More than once we have had a snowstorm on Mother's day.

Most of the snow here is gone, but it's too early to be over. More than once we have had a snowstorm on Mother's day.
Well even if we get a storm now I'm not snow blowing it. The latest and most amount I've ever seen in all my years here is April 11, with 9" of snow, that three days later was gone. I've seen 10-11" on my birthday, April 9th, a couple of times in my 67 years of life. Supposed to rain tomorrow and be in the upper 40's, it's 50 out today. Grass is growing, frost is long gone, so the snow can't stick around even if we get some.

around 4" May 10th 1988, fun day getting Hospital at 2 am with #2 looking to pop.

We are lookin' at 8-12'' tomorrow thru Wednesday. That is to be followed by 1''+ of rain or 8-12'' snow on Thursday. The weather guessers currently say mostly rain (subject to change with the next model run) ...as always...:rolleyes: , if its rain you will be hearing about the great Maine flood of '17 thirty years and three days after the flood of '87...

Reactions: jackhammer