Who is using bituminous coal in the Englander 28-3500?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
After talking with one of the reps from Englander on the phone yesterday (very helpful guy-forgot to get his name though), I'm 95% sold on the 28-3500. I'm just wondering who out there is actually using bituminous coal in theirs. As it was explained to me (and I think there is a post or two on this site about it) the 28-3500 can accept about 10lbs of bituminous on top of a good bed of hot wood embers to extend burn times. I'm about five hours from bituminous country, but I would probably only need two tons a season since I would only be supplementing my wood use. Just wondering how many other folks are doing this and how its working out for them?

I think Bituminous and Anthracite coal are similar in that they need/prefer air from the bottom, that is they burn from the bottom up, not top down. So, unless the Englander has an air feed from below the fire I'd think it would not work well. I do understand B-coal is "soft" coal, and it may burn more like wood than does A-coal.

Jerry_NJ said:
I think Bituminous and Anthracite coal are similar in that they need/prefer air from the bottom, that is they burn from the bottom up, not top down. So, unless the Englander has an air feed from below the fire I'd think it would not work well. I do understand B-coal is "soft" coal, and it may burn more like wood than does A-coal.

The Englander does have an air feed from the bottom, but I think you're right, anthracite is more finicky about it than bituminous.

Status
Not open for further replies.