Who normally does termination cap work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stripedbass

Hearth Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Boston
If one has a direct vent gas heater, like a Vermont Castings Stardance, and needs to replace the termination cap, is this job only supposed to be done by a Vermont Castings person? Or can an HVAC person do the work?

I ask because some Vermont Castings dealers don't seem to do termination cap work, especially if it's high up like on a 3rd storey.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about work on the stove itself. I'm only talking about the termination cap.

I finally got advice from someone outside this forum. He said that a certified HVAC technician can do work on my termination cap.

I finally got advice from someone outside this forum. He said that a certified HVAC technician can do work on my termination cap.
Probably depends on what state you are in. I believe in MA the CMR states that one must be a licensed plumber or gas fitter or under the supervision of a licensed plumber or gas fitter to vent or I believe repair venting.

Reactions: DAKSY
Millbilly,

Thanks for trying to help me.

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether a certified HVAC guy can or cannot work on venting for direct vent gas stoves like Vermont Castings Stardance. I've come across some HVAC guys who tell me that they can definitely work on the venting for these kinds of stoves. This is why I'm trying to make sure what the deal is.

Again, thanks for trying to help me.