1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who put the cat on their boiler ?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DavidV, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    I think it was last year that someone retrofitted a catalyst to their outside boiler. I was wondering how that worked out and what it looks like this year?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    I believe it was "Eric Johnson" who did this.
    This is his Hearthnet member listing name...

Rob
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Actually, I put the add-on cat on an indoor boiler (Royall) that I have set up in my barn.

It worked fine all last season (16 full cords). I checked it out the other day before firing the beast up for the first time this season, and the cat looks good. No visible cracks or degradation of the catalyst or the substrate. My original plan was to get two heating seasons out of the $200 add-on. So we'll see.

As to how it works, I'd say OK. You're not going to the kind of performance out of an add-on that you will with a unit that designed into a wood stove, but it cuts the smoke, generates a lot of heat in the boiler room and keeps creosote from forming in the stack.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.