1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Who uses pine knots?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jasong, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasong

jasong New Member

Loc:
    Palestine, Tx.
    I live in East Texas and around here you find Pine trees on the ground that when rotted away leave hardened pieces full of sap. They light with a match and burn hot. We use them as starters. Is it just around here where they are found or do any of ya'll have them in your area also?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    They exist in Michigan and they are great fire starters too. Usually they never get much chance to develop near my wood boiler. Once the wood around the knots gets dry enough the whole chunk goes in the fire.
  3. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    I grab them when I find 'em, sure. I only had two big ones this year, and they're already burnt.
  4. wannago

wannago Member

Loc:
    Midland, North Carolina
    We have a lot of pine here in North Carolina. Thats one of my little hobbies goin out and finding pine knots or the whole tree, makes good firestarter, smells good too.
  5. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    Many companies package that and sell it as 'fat wood'. As others have said it is great for starting a fire. Burns hot. Just do not use a lot of it at once or you will over fire your stove.
  6. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    One observation- pine knots seem to smoke like crazy, almost the entire time they are burning. I avoid burning them during daylight. I don't want visible smoke coming from my chimney. I burn knots only very late at night.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.