Who will be the first to cave?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't look at it as "caving" in to the appeal . . . rather it's just my way of getting the house warm.

That said, this year is still warm enough during the day that the cool nights haven't been an issue . . . unlike last Summer with the cool temps and rain where I had a fire going almost every month for the entire year.

At this point it shouldn't be until some time in September when I light up . . . assuming that the temps continue to go the way they're going.

This has been a hot summer. I've just started enjoying the cooler nights, and it's going to head back up
into the mid 80's over the next few days. A/C will be running, not the stove.

Slow1 said:
Last week it was raining every day and highs outside were mid 60's. I have to admit I was tempted just because... well, just because. However I didn't do it since I know if I had I'd probably find excuses to burn again and again and...

Anyway, I'm rather hoping to get well into October this year - I seriously doubt I'll make November unless we have unusually warm weather. In any case the thermometer will be the deciding factor (inside temp, not outside). I don't believe in letting the calendar decide these things. Time will tell as I'm sure our tolerance for cooler temperatures is gone and we'll have to acclimate again. Family will find temps below 70 inside to be "too cold" again this fall for a while... then by January the same 70* mark will be "I'm sweating can we open a window" temp...

That rainy week it got pretty chilly around here with that northeast wind. Against my wife's wishes, one night I lit the Jotul. Who do you think spent the rest of the evening in front of it with her cats and the dog? :-/

I wouldn't consider it "caving" either. If it is cool enough in the house, we will start burning no matter the date. I have plenty of free wood ready to go and I do not want the heat to turn on.

fahmahbob said:
Slow1 said:
Last week it was raining every day and highs outside were mid 60's. I have to admit I was tempted just because... well, just because. However I didn't do it since I know if I had I'd probably find excuses to burn again and again and...

Anyway, I'm rather hoping to get well into October this year - I seriously doubt I'll make November unless we have unusually warm weather. In any case the thermometer will be the deciding factor (inside temp, not outside). I don't believe in letting the calendar decide these things. Time will tell as I'm sure our tolerance for cooler temperatures is gone and we'll have to acclimate again. Family will find temps below 70 inside to be "too cold" again this fall for a while... then by January the same 70* mark will be "I'm sweating can we open a window" temp...

That rainy week it got pretty chilly around here with that northeast wind. Against my wife's wishes, one night I lit the Jotul. Who do you think spent the rest of the evening in front of it with her cats and the dog? :-/

I need to fill the indoor racks sometime soon I think. That was the other thing that stopped me - I don't have a woodshed (yet?) and none of my piles are covered so they were all pretty wet after the first couple days of rain there. I would have had to dig pretty deep into the pile to find some splits less soaked than the rest and let them dry a while before lighting them up... just not worth the bother. I'm sure my wife will be looking at me funny next week if I haul in a few loads of wood to fill the racks though :)

She won't be looking at you funny when she's all warm and toasty/

Last Monday was the first my girlfriend said she was cold and wanted me to lite it up who am I to argue. It was a great test of some beech n hard maple that had been stacked single row in the sun since last November burnt great.

I just walked over and lit a couple of egg cartons in the 30. Done.

BrotherBart said:
I just walked over and lit a couple of egg cartons in the 30. Done.

I burned the paper & such that the stove accumulates during the summer, and some cherry bark %-P

I didn't get the chimney cleaned today. Maybe tomorrow.

It's going to be 85 though. I might have to wait. :p

wendell said:
I didn't get the chimney cleaned today. Maybe tomorrow.

It's going to be 85 though. I might have to wait. :p

Yeah I am feeling guilty. Last year I lectured everybody about cleaning the chimney and inspecting the stove after the last burn in case you have stove damage so you have the summer to get it fixed. And now because of various issues I haven't cleaned either pipe or checked out the stoves yet.

Crossing fingers here. Hoping to get up there next week or the week after.

Someplace in the hearth.com universe, it's cold enough to be burning right now. We cover many countries on a number of continents, in both the northern & southern hemispheres, and our members live in a vast range of latitudes and elevations and climatic conditions. Kinda makes the question moot, in my mind. Somebody's probably burning someplace pretty much anytime. Rick

fossil said:
Someplace in the hearth.com universe, it's cold enough to be burning right now. We cover many countries on a number of continents, in both the northern & southern hemispheres, and our members live in a vast range of latitudes and elevations and climatic conditions. Kinda makes the question moot, in my mind. Somebody's probably burning someplace pretty much anytime. Rick

"It's five o'clock somewhere."

fossil said:
Somebody's probably burning someplace pretty much anytime. Rick

I'll bet you Willie Nelson is burning something right now. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:

Thank goodness. Now I don't have to feel guilty about this glass of scotch sitting next to me.

wendell said:
BrotherBart said:

Thank goodness. Now I don't have to feel guilty about this glass of scotch sitting next to me.

Got a young scotch in my hand at the moment myself. :cheese:

PS: Two of the finer things in life that I learned from Dan Jenkins. Enjoying a young scotch and looking at steel bellied home wreckers.

BrotherBart said:
wendell said:
BrotherBart said:

Got young scotch in my hand at the moment myself. :cheese:

Well, it is obvious that great minds think alike!

Dang, it's getting late here...I'll go grab a little Dickel. (That's George Dickel Tennessee sippin' Whisky...not what you were thinkin'). :coolsmirk:

fossil said:
Dang, it's getting late here...I'll go grab a little Dickel. (That's George Dickel Tennessee sippin' Whisky...not what you were thinkin'). :coolsmirk:

If you say so Cap'n. :lol:

I should put in a plug for Tito's Handmade Vodka...if you're into that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.