1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Whoa!,.. seeing colors..

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Shaw520, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Opened my stove to clean it and I thought I was have a flashback! Red in color,.. clay-like consistancy,... been burning mostly Chow with some Sets mixed in.... stuck mainly on the back plate. ash colors.jpg ash colors1.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    OMV mentioned reddish pink on the baffles from the somersets. He was told probably due to mineral deposits from salt being used when soaking the timber to debark.
  3. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Did he get that response from manufacturer of pellets? I was thinking for species used. Around where I live, red usually means high iron content in the soils... The next lake over from us has a red/brown cast to the water from iron.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Salt actually does 2 things. Kills bugs and larvae in the wood. Plus helps remove bark.

Red looks like rust, Maybe an iron content in the fiber?
  5. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Really?,.... through the process of making the pellet I didnt think there would be that much ground water left.
  6. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Thats iron oxide. Wether its organic or inorganic is the ? Could be some machinery having a bad day or from trees in high iron soil. Minnesnowta has iron range and I have water thats near toxic with iron. Mix with three parts by wt with aluminum and you have thermite. Really hot stuff.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Save some mix with light oil. Makes a nice polishing compond. Red ruge. ;)
    Enviro Mini Owner likes this.