Whole house fan and Millennium 2100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usefulidi0t

Feb 18, 2024
Kansas
Will a whole house fan that is about 14 feet away from a wood stove cause drafting issues if it (fan) is not turned on? If I install an outside air kit to pull air from outside, will that fix the problem if there even would be one?

I was told by the installer I have 2 options, A) cover whole house fan up or B) install another 5 feet of chimney.
Thanks,
Mark

If the fan has shutters that actually seal, or you tightly seal it some other way for the heating season, I can't see how it would affect anything.

If it's able to leak to the attic, I could see how it might leak a lot of air into the attic since it would be exposed to pretty hot air along the ceiling being that close to the stove. If the rest of the house is tight enough, maybe it might create a competing draft for your stove. Seems like you would've already noticed that much air passing by, or at least the snow-free roof. If you sealed up a fan hole like that, you might not need the stove anymore :) .

OAK should help, but I'd seal the fan if needed instead because there's no point in heating the outdoors.

Is the installer just doing CYA in case you end up needing more chimney? I can't see anyone in Kansas eliminating a WH fan that's already installed. I'd say you need cooling more than you need heating most of the time. For that matter, I'd like to have one here on the edge of the arctic, but it would be have to be able to be sealed up tighter than a seal's butt outside of summer.

Reactions: usefulidi0t
I would just seal the fan for the winter with one of those plastic clear film window kits. How tall is your chimney?

Last edited:
14 foot is on the short side, depending on the stove you may need to extend the chimney to have a strong enough draft.

I can make an argument for getting rid of the fan, but depends on what part of the state you are in and the age of the house and if you have any allergies.

sealing it up in the winter is a good idea. But personally I think it could be probably so leaky that it not saving any money.

Will a whole house fan that is about 14 feet away from a wood stove cause drafting issues if it (fan) is not turned on? If I install an outside air kit to pull air from outside, will that fix the problem if there even would be one?

I was told by the installer I have 2 options, A) cover whole house fan up or B) install another 5 feet of chimney.
Thanks,
Mark
A whole house fan as in one that exhausts heat out a large vent? We need more specifics about the proposed installation and issue. Pictures can help.
The interior intake grille for a whole house fan should be sealed off in the winter. Otherwise, it can create negative pressure in the rooms below.