why 2 year old/seasoned wood for BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
,virtually maintenance free woodstove
Uhhh what do you mean they take as much maintenance as most other stoves. The only ones they are better than in that respect are the down draft stoves like vermont castings and harman. Or the ones with cats in the back like vermont castings.

Also remember some people set their standards a little higher than others
It is not a matter of higher standards. In my case the fact that you can run low and slow means nothing to me I would never do it my house requires to many btus. So to me the added cost of a cat stove would be wasted for the most part. Other than the added efficiency. Now if price was no issue I would have either a bk king or a 5100 so I could have the huge firebox and be able to get tons of btus when needed But that would also mean a new chimney for the 8" stack. And I don't have the funds for that and one of the big boys now. But even with those big guys I would not be running them low much at all. And honestly 8 to 10 hour burn times are just fine with me I don't need longer than that.

Bholler, not trying to be a smart a$$ but if you are getting 8 to 10 hour burn times from the 3100 it doesn't sound like you are really pushing it for btu's.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot , ohlonga, you gotta say what you mean. :rolleyes:
Be more assertive, will ya ? More opinionated, huh ?_g
You got some kind of oil furnace ?

Now for a word from our sponsor...................

From a committed wood stove burner, an OCD firewood fool, heating with so many different stoves over decades that the grey matter up there is saturated---stoves are like sexual attraction. There are an infinite number of variables on all sides. You like redheads, she likes skinny men with no brains, etc.. etc...We have the BK fans, the Jotul freaks, the PE boys, even some swearing by ( and at VC). Hell, I even once thought that those Ashleys were golden ( can you believe a creosote maker could be loved ?). Cat, non-cat. Who cares if the appliance puts out for you ( yes ).
BTW: I honestly admire the BKVP as the ONLY rep to participate on this forum. Thanks, even though those stoves are not pretty (to us) and big $$$$.
So there ohlonga. ;sick

I agree with you on most points . . . but last I knew Englander had a presence here as well.

And while I agree that my Jotul most likely will not burn as long as a Blaze King I do have to say it's mighty pretty . . . but more importantly has kept my house warm for the past 7 years with nothing more than two gaskets replaced and the normal sweeping. Yes, I may have to reload it more often, but I'm used to the schedule and since it has provided 90-95% of my heating needs it works for me . . . and works well.

Reactions: bholler
Bholler, not trying to be a smart a$$ but if you are getting 8 to 10 hour burn times from the 3100 it doesn't sound like you are really pushing it for btu's.
When it is loaded full of locust hickory or osage it puts out allot of btus and yes if it is real cold out I push it harder and at that I get 7 to 8 hours. Above 20 I burn ash and get 8 to 10.

I agree with you on most points . . . but last I knew Englander had a presence here as well.

And while I agree that my Jotul most likely will not burn as long as a Blaze King I do have to say it's mighty pretty . . . but more importantly has kept my house warm for the past 7 years with nothing more than two gaskets replaced and the normal sweeping. Yes, I may have to reload it more often, but I'm used to the schedule and since it has provided 90-95% of my heating needs it works for me . . . and works well.
As long as you guys are happy with your units ,that's all that matters.That's why they make many different stoves,if everybody liked the same ,there wouldn't be enough to go around. all I'm saying is my previous stoves left me wanting more,the BK gave me instant and prolonged gratification.I enjoy the once a day tending to,12 to 14 hours is about the span I need ,BK provides that.

Reactions: bholler
So back to the need for dry wood....

As of May 15th 2015, the EPA introduced the updated NSPS (New Source Performance Source) and in the updated version there are specific requirements that a consumer must meet in the operation of their unit. Under this Federal Law, manufacturers must detail said requirements and warranties. On page 13706, 40 CFR Part 60, it makes it clear that manufacturers are to void warranties if solid fuel heaters are used in any manner other than as described the owners & operators manuals.

For example, if a pellet appliance manufacturer specifies a specific grade of pellet fuel or in the case of a wood heater, the manufacturer specifies a specific range of acceptable moisture content, use of anything other than as outlined in the Owners & Operators Manual, the warranties must be voided by Federal Law.

So, moisture content can play a significant role in clean burning, consumer satisfaction, improved efficiencies, and less creosote.

Any of you Hearth guys in Detroit? If so, PM me please..FREE beer at stake!

Status
Not open for further replies.