Why are wood outside stove pipes shiny?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is there a reason why the stove pipes are shiny instead of painted?

Probably because people wouldnt like the color it came in... shiny stainless steel goes with everything..

"Outside stove pipes" are really "chimney pipes"...very different from stovepipe or connector pipe used inside. The Chimney pipes are available in either a galvanized outside construction or stainless steel. The "shiny" you're referring to is likely from looking at stainless steel chimney pipe. Either galvanized or stainless can be painted, though the exact method and materials used to do the job correctly depend on the specific finish to be coated. Rick

Stainless steel contains chrome and nickel - and we all know what polished chrome looks like!

Stainless typically comes in a shinier finish or in more matte finishes. There are various reasons to use each. In the case of the very shiny stainless finish on insulated chimney, this is highly buffed at the steel mills which produce the rolls. It is, in fact, worse for painting than a more matter finish would be.

The shiny pipe could be lightly bead blasted to a flat finish if so desired. I don't know why, I think the shiny pipe looks high quality when installed properly and straight.

I remember from this thread-- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45471/

The image of the guy's chimney, note how the remnants of the paper sticker or whatever shows a higher infrared temp than the pipe. The shiny metal may offer low-emissivity qualities to keep more heat inside the pipe to improve the draft. Not sure how substantial a difference it is but I'm guessing it's worth something.

Ducky said:

Chrome won't get you home but it's my favorite color

cptoneleg said:
Ducky said:

I may argue chrome isnt a cilor, but i can agree with the look.

Shiny due to a polished finish. Theres various degrees i think thats more the the typical 2b finish. Polish helps with weather resistant.

Stainless is desirable because it is maintenance free. That is the shiny metal you see. Galvalume chimney pipes are grey, but they can be painted if properly primed. Class A pipe can also be found in black.

Stump_Branch said:
cptoneleg said:
Ducky said:

I may argue chrome isnt a cilor, but i can agree with the look.

Shiny due to a polished finish. Theres various degrees i think thats more the the typical 2b finish. Polish helps with weather resistant.

Yeah, corrosion starts in nooks and crannies. Highly polished finnish is much more corrosion resistant.

Repainting a twenty+ foot chimney every few years would be the ultimate PITA.

But I hear ya. I don't know why anodized black Class A isn't an option. Cost is my guess. It ain't a cheap process and the stuff costs enough already.

BrotherBart said:
Repainting a twenty+ foot chimney every few years would be the ultimate PITA.

But I hear ya. I don't know why anodized black Class A isn't an option. Cost is my guess. It ain't a cheap process and the stuff costs enough already.

Anodizing is predominantly an aluminum specific process.

For steel it's usually black oxide coating. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up very well to outdoor weather. Military frowns on black oxide coated steels and prefers stainless.

"Anodizing forms an oxide protective barrier on aluminum but if you form iron oxide over steel it will not protect it adequately, for that reason a different compound has to be developed. You may want to explore blackening, galvanizing or phosphate coating of steel."

Another solution could be heat resistant colored sleeves. Or wrap with painted gavalume tubes. Steel buildings have an almost lifetime painted finish.

mhrischuk said:
"Anodizing forms an oxide protective barrier on aluminum but if you form iron oxide over steel it will not protect it adequately, for that reason a different compound has to be developed.

Wouldn't that be..... rust? :long:

MasterMech said:

Sure is, for aluminum, the "rust" actually protects the rest of the material. With steel, that isn't the case.

pen

Actually it does help in some specific circumstances with steel - a controled rust called a patina or blueing(think gun barrels) is a form of controled rust used to protect the steel. I am an amature blacksmith and make custom knives of high cabon steel and a patina or hot blue will help a lot with corrosion resistance but I am thinking it would not do squat for steel that is being heated and cooled regularily. Anytime you introduce high temps to steel you introduce an areas that will corrode more quickly. This is evident with welding and a weld joint on exposed mild steel will begin to rust almost imedietly vs. the surounding steel. I add a patina to some of my knive by soaking in vinagar or even cutting a potato or onion.

Probably just some worthless information but it is an area I have experience with and I get so much information about the things I don't know much about here I thought I could share it.

Bob Urban

BobUrban said:
Actually it does help in some specific circumstances with steel - a controled rust called a patina or blueing(think gun barrels) is a form of controled rust used to protect the steel. I am an amature blacksmith and make custom knives of high cabon steel and a patina or hot blue will help a lot with corrosion resistance but I am thinking it would not do squat for steel that is being heated and cooled regularily. Anytime you introduce high temps to steel you introduce an areas that will corrode more quickly. This is evident with welding and a weld joint on exposed mild steel will begin to rust almost imedietly vs. the surounding steel. I add a patina to some of my knive by soaking in vinagar or even cutting a potato or onion.

Probably just some worthless information but it is an area I have experience with and I get so much information about the things I don't know much about here I thought I could share it.

Bob Urban

A weld on mild steel rusts faster since there is no mill scale on the weld.
Of course mill scale is also a form of oxidation, with helps your point.

The thing with stainless is that just like aluminum, corrosion is prevented by superhard surface oxides.

These are much more noticable on 304 than on 316.

Ultimately, the corrosion resistance of a chimney pipe is likely sufficient, but for best resistance, pollished is it.

Welcome to the forum Bob, I am also a blacksmith.

Those black steel socket head cap screws are generally black oxide coated.

pen said:
MasterMech said:

Sure is, for aluminum, the "rust" actually protects the rest of the material. With steel, that isn't the case.

pen

Pen you should see Aluminum being TIG welded sometime. You can watch the arc 'clean' the oxidation away from the weld puddle as you go, very cool.

Highly polished metals are poor heat radiators. If they stay polished they will help keep internal flue temps higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.