Why aren’t the trades valued more? A podcast and discussion.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think valuing the trades may be more of a societal issue that anything cost related. There were a number of people when I was very young who I perceived as larger than life, pillars of the community, someone to try to emulate, very influential as an example of high standard and integrity. One was an electrician, another two were carpenters, another a stone mason. Today, with todays society - pillars of a community, ? Is that even a thought of anymore? I've resolved to use my skills to do my own work, and emulate their ways, as long as I'm able.
Old community pillars can hold a candle to the Kardashians, Musk and the like.

Too much to read for me above.

But my few cents: the same is happening in Europe. In my original country (sorry, US soccer team...), There is a severe shortage of HVAC installers. We never used much AC, but heat pumps are being pushed. So that aggravated this also.

People do not realize that a skilled installer can make good money. We had bricklayers in our village ((nearly)all single family homes are built from brick) that were at the top of the wealth distribution.

I have an MSc and a PhD. However, I can learn more about what I NEED from trades people than what they need from me.

Reactions: EbS-P
But money is how we measure value.
It is one measure of value, but far from the only one. In many cases, it's a poor one. A good neighbor has high value, regardless of wealth. A good water system operator has high value and can be responsible for the health of hundreds, regardless of wealth. A good samaritan or priest can have high value to those in need. Friendship is another measure of value as are morals. I value tradespeople because they keep our world and lives going. I do not value a stock broker or an insurance adjuster in the same way, regardless of personal wealth.

If we applied true value in proportion to wealth, teachers should be making as much as many doctors. Finland figured this out a while back.

Reactions: bholler and EbS-P
We fix lots of jobs that took the lowest quote

I once heard some wisdom from a fellow teacher, which I now try to pass on to my students. I tell them that I’m there to teach them three things: To learn how to learn, to learn to do things they don’t wish to do, and to learn to respect authority.
Some days I wonder how well I have learned those lessons. 🤔
Again a bit off the topic, but it goes along with some recent posts.

I have worked in trades, production and have a BS. The lack of respect for each other seems to run both ways. We don't recognize the need we have as a society to have both. I have been on jobsites where tradesmen run down those "college educated" kids and I have been in office settings where tradesmen are looked down upon as uneducated. I have met tradesmen that are more adept engineers than those who have degrees and I have met those with degrees that are very capable tradesmen. We have this unending desire to think we are better and unique than the person next to us. Rather than try to show how we are the best by our own actions we show how someone else is lesser or wrong. This problem goes far beyond chosen vocation. It is rampant in every aspect of our lives. I've always taught my kids to be whatever they want, just be a good one and always try to do the right thing. Mutual respect for our fellow humans goes a long way.

^^That. Well said.

I was thinking that other than demand, currency exchange rates might be a key to the high wages too. In the late 90s I think the Canadian dollar was worth 60% of the American dollar. I remember buying a complete works of Shakespeare in a used book store for $6. Yeah, it was paperback, lol. They were asking $10.

I have no idea what the exchange rate was in the 2010s or any time since the late 90s.

So, I was cleaning a bookshelf out tonight and found the Shakesphere book!

The inside cover was marked $12.50 instead of the $10 I remembered. I must have talked them down a bit before my exchange rate purchase! Lol

30486A86-60AD-4E9E-846C-8DC167D6B8B3.jpeg 5ACE093F-C4AF-4977-BF88-D9864D133495.jpeg