Why did I do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Dropped 2 dead trees............one a hickory and one a maple.
I have more than I can chew to get the rounds I have cut out of the woods much less more, but I did it anyway. I have a couple more I have my eye on. I have the urge to drop the dead ones now.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 207.jpg
    bearded asil hen 207.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 164
  • bearded asil hen 208.jpg
    bearded asil hen 208.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 169
  • bearded asil hen 209.jpg
    bearded asil hen 209.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 162
  • bearded asil hen 210.jpg
    bearded asil hen 210.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: albert1029
This tree is tall and straight and I will more than likely drop it before the weeks out.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 211.jpg
    bearded asil hen 211.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 115
I would probably have the same problem. Sometimes it is more fun to drop another tree than it is to process the ones already on the ground.

I see a Shagbark Hickory and another tree that looks like Chestnut Oak. It doesn't look like a maple to me.

I'd drop them ASAP
Get them bucked up & the rounds in a pile/stack.
Take you time getting them out of the woods, split & stacked,
You have a day or 2 to get that done. LOL :)

Reactions: PapaDave
From the pics those look pretty straight and should be easy enough to work with? Now that they're down you can c/s/s at your pace. I have to say, my least favorite thing is felling the trees. I find the process a bit nerve racking until they are on the ground safely. I've never had a problem, but I hate it if they get caught in others and feel you can never be too careful.

This tree is tall and straight and I will more than likely drop it before the weeks out.
That's just the way I like 'em!

I would probably have the same problem. Sometimes it is more fun to drop another tree than it is to process the ones already on the ground.

I see a Shagbark Hickory and another tree that looks like Chestnut Oak. It doesn't look like a maple to me.
Wood Duck, you have an eye for trees. This tree was very dense and real rich red inside. At first I thought is was a black gum and then settled on sweet gum..........but I had my doubts. The bottom was woodpeckered up with holes and didn't have leaves on it for sometime. Whatever it is it is very clean and no knots. I think it will process like a dream and I will have alot of wood. I may split a piece and take a shot. Thanks

I have more than I can chew to get the rounds I have cut out of the woods much less more, but I did it anyway. I have a couple more I have my eye on. I have the urge to drop the dead ones now.

What kind of a maple is that Tim?

That is one of my problems.

That Maple kinda looks like Ash to me?

KC

Went and split a round. Split easy with one wack opening it up good and with a second wack it split clean. It is 100% not ash and 100% not oak.
I'd say 80% sure it is a sweet gum. I have the opportunity to study these trees pretty good. Some say sweet gum is a bear to split, but not this. Tree was dead but still has moisture in it.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen.jpg
    bearded asil hen.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 145
Ash bark and grain. I'll say 100% sure its ASH

lol Nford. I think I had one ash on my whole place and that was taken down years ago. Can't go against one so knowledgable but let me say this
100% not a white ash :)

While I cut wood(and cheese) like everyone, I feel compelled to remind all of the importance
of standing dead trees to many species. Just sayin' if it isn't a hazard, we should leave some
and not feel like cleaning up these trees/habitat is more noble/humble than say
thinning healthy stands. I'm surrounded(figuratively) by natl forest,
and we cant touch anything there.
Not flaming or ranting, I have dead trees that need cutting too.
just making a stand for the underdogs.

I also scrounge alot.

Looks like lotsa good wood.

No rush to drop the dead ones. Unless they are a safety hazard. Most of the time those dead ones will stand there a long, long time. And if they don't, they will most likely fall in a wind storm when you should not be out there anyway. Right? Plenty of time to get those rounds out of the woods. How far do you have to move them Tim? Then get those other ones dropped when you want and like Dave says, buck and stack the rounds until it is convenient for you to take them out. What do you use to bring them out of the woods? Is this woods yours and on the same property as your house? I am just curious.

Based on the new picture I'll say it doesn't look like Chestnut Oak. I haven't cut Sweet Gum so I don't know what the inside of one looks like, but the bark does remind me of Sweet Gum.

You did this to try and catch up to me,but I'm light years ahead of you split 6 cords of Black locust today will post pics tomorrow good luck.

Dang, looks like a giant pool cue! Nice work, good luck getting 'em all diced up.

Agree with Hilbiliarki - have quite a few standing dead I leave alone in my creek. Plenty of bats, owls, pileateds, and squirrels to help out. Helps when they're hard to get to, inferior species,hollow and base rotted, leaners, or otherwise problematic. I Call 'em...."sub prime housing" for those critters.:)

OK, sometimes I eat the squirrels.....>>

Reactions: hilbiliarkiboi
No rush to drop the dead ones. Unless they are a safety hazard. Most of the time those dead ones will stand there a long, long time. And if they don't, they will most likely fall in a wind storm when you should not be out there anyway. Right? Plenty of time to get those rounds out of the woods. How far do you have to move them Tim? Then get those other ones dropped when you want and like Dave says, buck and stack the rounds until it is convenient for you to take them out. What do you use to bring them out of the woods? Is this woods yours and on the same property as your house? I am just curious.

Gasifier, yes no rush to drop a dead tree , but like my thread stated " why did I do this ? " ..............seems I got the fever to drop them.
I'm taking these trees down on the wooded property I live on. I have paths all through my woods and can access most of these rounds with my truck. Some rounds though will have to be carried to the path where I will bring the splitter to split them. I will never cut a live tree down though.

Gasifier, yes no rush to drop a dead tree , but like my thread stated " why did I do this ? " ..............seems I got the fever to drop them.
I'm taking these trees down on the wooded property I live on. I have paths all through my woods and can access most of these rounds with my truck. Some rounds though will have to be carried to the path where I will bring the splitter to split them. I will never cut a live tree down though.

Because it's fun. ;lol Then the work begins. Which is also fun if you do it right. I like to cut the dead ones as well. But if I need a good amount of fuel, I need to drop some of the live ones. The woods that I work has too many trees that are too close together. So when you clear say 2 or 3 out of an area where there are 12 it actually helps the others out. Have fun with the work. It is always nice to be in the woods working at whatever pace you feel like at that time. In the lives that we live today, working in the woods is a great portion of that time! Working outside, or just being outside is the best!

Reactions: hilbiliarkiboi
Went and split a round. Split easy with one wack opening it up good and with a second wack it split clean. It is 100% not ash and 100% not oak.
I'd say 80% sure it is a sweet gum. I have the opportunity to study these trees pretty good. Some say sweet gum is a bear to split, but not this. Tree was dead but still has moisture in it.

I dont think its sweetgum , sweetgum is nasty to split and spilits very stringy and hard. Sweetgum laughs at most mauls and eats wedges.;lol

The reason you did this is cause your a firewood nut. Like the rest of us you just love cutting up tree's and burning wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.