Why do I do plumbing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
I absolutely hate all things plumbing. I do it, not well or quickly, but I get it done. I spent 3 hours today (including a 1 hr round-trip to Lowes) to replace a Moen shower cartridge. Yeah, the 5 min video on Youtube was damn optimistic. In all fairness, I didn't have any plumber's geese on hand--nor did I know what this was until today. Anyhow, a couple of months ago, I visited an aunt in KY and spent a day and a half replacing some washer bibs. She has an old house, and I ran into some unexpected stuff. I developed an affinity for Shark Bites, but felt like a failure for not getting the original fittings to seal. There was one that just wouldn't stay dry long enough for me to seal the deal. Again, I'm no plumber--I did think about shoving some bread in there, but Google led be to SharkBite's. I really need to make friends with a plumber.

Reactions: NickW
In all fairness, I didn't have any plumber's geese on hand--nor did I know what this was until today.
Plumbers geese are so understated! I find them really distracting when they are under a vanity with you though.

I need to fix a leak in my boiler system. I’ve had the new parts sitting in my living room for a week. I’m thinking of hiring it out. I hate sweating copper. I’m not sure why though. It’s not in an area that could catch fire.

Plumbing! Haha ..... ha...aha..

currently finishing the new laundry sink. Nice sink. Nice laundry/utilty room. It needs a drain, vent, and faucet. Damn!

I started on the drain yesterday thinking I had all the parts laying around on hand. But no! Of course. Especially cause I changed the plan a little.. late on a Saturday. No hardware near me on a Sunday..

Plumbers geese are so understated! I find them really distracting when they are under a vanity with you though.

I need to fix a leak in my boiler system. I’ve had the new parts sitting in my living room for a week. I’m thinking of hiring it out. I hate sweating copper. I’m not sure why though. It’s not in an area that could catch fire.

I like doing copper, actually. I don't like plastic. Glue and stuff..

Reactions: johneh and Prof
I like doing copper, actually. I don't like plastic. Glue and stuff..
There is something about copper that I like and trust. Maybe it is just one of the first things I learned how to do. It also seems more permanent and steady. I have a few friends that think I am nuts and love their pex. I'm on the wrong forum if I was going to go with the new and easy!

Reactions: johneh and Newbie78
There is something about copper that I like and trust. Maybe it is just one of the first things I learned how to do. It also seems more permanent and steady. I have a few friends that think I am nuts and love their pex. I'm on the wrong forum if I was going to go with the new and easy!
Oh but I do have 2 heatpumps--one for the garage/office and one for the house. If I am honest, I don't trust the heatpumps---though I have spent some time learning the tech behind them. Fire is fairly basic--I like that!

I never learned to sweat copper pipes. I’m sure I could do it with enough practice. Mainly I’m concerned with keeping it dry, and what to do when you can’t rotate parts into place.

What I’ve always done for a repair is just replace the bad part with a section using brass compression fittings. Never had them leak, even 16 years later when I sold the old house. I did the shower valve like that here about 6 years ago. I was actually in contact with a plumber to sweat it in properly, but my housemate insisted a 2-3 day wait was unacceptable, her and her kids deserved better. So I did it the way I knew how. Thank god they’re gone.

If I had to do copper a lot, or was running new piping, I would learn how to do it properly.

My house is a mix of a modular on the first floor and prefab rough panels for the second floor. The first floor was plumbed in the finished spaces but just stubbed out through the floor and the ceiling. It was supposed to be delivered in July and showed up on Thanksgiving. I was in an apartment and needed to move out in December so I had a lot of stuff to do and not a lot of vacation to do it. I had zero PVC skills and some basic copper skills learned with a Bernzomatic propane torch. I got good quick since I needed to get the plumbing and heating system working. Its been 30 plus years in the house and a plumber has not walked through the door. I had to hire an electrician to put in the main panel in order for the utility to hook up power to the house but the house was prewired to a loose main panel so I mostly had to shorten wires under the floor. A friend helped me buy and install the new boiler since his dad used to own a heating oil company.

I moved into the place in late December with heat, water and power.

Later on I learned about air acetylene torches and MAP gas torches. Both make copper work a lot easier especially the 3/4 and up. One inch copper is just about impossible to do with regular propane but with MAP it as easy as 1/2". I also have salvaged a lot of copper pipe for my wood boiler, with MAP, its not that hard I usually save 95% of the fittings but with propane, its a 50/50 proposition.

I absolutely hate all things plumbing. I do it, not well or quickly, but I get it done. I spent 3 hours today (including a 1 hr round-trip to Lowes) to replace a Moen shower cartridge. Yeah, the 5 min video on Youtube was damn optimistic. In all fairness, I didn't have any plumber's geese on hand--nor did I know what this was until today. Anyhow, a couple of months ago, I visited an aunt in KY and spent a day and a half replacing some washer bibs. She has an old house, and I ran into some unexpected stuff. I developed an affinity for Shark Bites, but felt like a failure for not getting the original fittings to seal. There was one that just wouldn't stay dry long enough for me to seal the deal. Again, I'm no plumber--I did think about shoving some bread in there, but Google led be to SharkBite's. I really need to make friends with a plumber.
I installed a new shower system, went to pressure test it (had wife turn water back on) and the shower mixer/diverter valve shot out at my chest. Ok...yea that was dumb, and painful.

What I want to know is how to plumber connect two runs of pipes together. Without using a fernco?!?

Depends on the material/materials. What are you trying to join!
Two schedule 40, 4" pipes. My path was septic tank to inside, to toilet, to sink and nothing else on the line. I then extended this to another t with a vent then shortly thereafter to the toilet.
Going from old to new, I tried to layup with the toilet being the last of the installation but had already installed the closet flange and toilet. I should have made that the last thing I did. So now I have two areas of plumbing that must meet and it was quite difficult and I'm sure I didn't seat it that far inside. I had enough distance though to fudge it. And much to my shock my slope was perfect after strapping , measuring z adjusting etc. Not too fast not too slow.

Make sure there isn’t a collet or ridge inside that’ll stop you from sliding it down the pipe.

But honestly. I’d use a French for that. It’ll adjust to any measurements that are a tad off and any vibrations easier.
Oh my God you just reminded me, I have this but it wouldn't work during the summer. Inside , it slide fine. I said to myself I better get this redone before it becomes and issue and make sure I do it before it gets too hot outside.
You've used these and they hold well?

As long as it’s lined up correctly it will. It’s a PVC joint. Don’t skip on the primer or glue, lol.