Why do people keep giving me wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
My very wealthy neighbor across the street way back ,lives on a 60 acre estate that her great great grandfather left her many years ago.Her son a few years ago cut some red cherry oak to get some boards for his mansion. Anyhow he left the small pieces from a 48 inch diameter monster he cut at least 3 years ago_On a concrete pad in direct sun,the elderly woman in her high eighties has called me on several occasions to whack marauding coyotes that kill and harass her swans on her 18 acre lake.As we were talking awhile back I asked her what her son was going to do with the scrap pile of red cherry oak. she said when I talk to him I'll ask,anyway she talked to him and it's now mine.All I have to do is haul it from her place to mine after I cut it.Th red cherry oak.jpeg e atv and John Deere cart will do just fine.This stuff is 100% primo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. You lucky son of a birch.

bob

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Dix
The title of your post could be mis-leading! haha

Great score!
If you're a true wood burner this would give you wood. So you are spot on.It's still a biatch to be at least 7 years ahead in your supply. And that's figuring severe winters where one could go through 5 cords ,as I did in two winters back to back.I will show my latest score besides the one just shown but it would be too much to handle at one time,stay tuned,pics will come when you least expect them,the mammy lode did I score.

Reactions: NickDL
Great score and awesome building in the back of the picture. What's this the type of wood you speak of? Must be a local thing. :) over here we only have white pine maple :) ;)

Take it, and run.... cherry is an awesome firewood !!!

Take it, and run.... cherry is an awesome firewood !!!
That is not cherry,but red cherry oak,a somewhat rare species of oak whose bark resembles cherry.They milled the entire tree on that property. The tree was seen alive in 1915 it was about 10 inches in diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.