1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Why do people wait so late to buy/cut wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by lopiliberty, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Actually, many people here seem to know the difference between seasoned and green wood judging from the wood stacks in their yards. Nevertheless, I found that touting dry wood as much safer to operate due to less risk of chimney fires usually yields only a shrug. However, when I mention that dry wood is much more efficient which means I have to cut and split considerably less people start to listen. Thriftiness and laziness are just too powerful. ;lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Some of what you process may be ready next year the faster seasoning like ash and maple should be good if stacked for a year
  3. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Yep, it's the way a lot of people do it. Inexperience, ignorance. So many burn green wood, we now have mandatory no burn days for home fireplaces, imposed by the bureaucracy.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    For twenty years I cut, hauled and split hardwoods in the spring and summer and burned it that season. Thanks to a former mod, Eric Johnson I am now burning three and four year old stuff. It started out with just trying to dry the stuff for a year. But Eric convinced me that you have to have at least that second year in case something jumps up that keeps you from cutting for a year. I don't know how many times I ran out of wood in March and was out in the snow cutting downed stuff to stack by the stove to get it dry enough to light.

My neighbors all still do it that way. One that heats exclusively with wood is splitting this years stuff this week. Same as for the last 30 years.
    Shadow&Flame likes this.
  5. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Did you get a lot of damage Red? We didn't over here in Mount Jackson. Met your buddy Ailanthus - great guy.
  6. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    National Forest has trees down everywhere - close to the road and some huge oaks. On my property I had about 10 trees down, no property damage though. Wind was the fiercest I've ever seen back this way.