1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Why do the fines effect the auger?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MCPO, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    I`m having a hard time understnding how pellet fines can be problematic with regards to the auger.
    How can wood dust plug up an auger? Or isn`t this what happens?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pelletluvr

Pelletluvr Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hmmm...it's kinda hard to explain, but I find that the fines tend to be packed against the feed tube by the auger over time and the pellets no longer have a smooth surface around the outside of the feed tube to slide along as the auger turns. That has been my observation anyway.
  3. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    My guess would be, that it could cause a couple of issues.

1. Alot of fine sawdust would build up at the bottom of the auger and not allow the pellets to be taken from the bootom and sent up.
    2. It could pack down and cause friction/resistance on the auger
    3. The fines could get into the motor and or soak up any lubrication the motor has.

I have not had my stove long....but every few bags, I let the stove run out of pellets. I then use a wand attachment to my vac and suck it all out clean.
  4. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    for the most part they make it to the slide plate, and fall on the back side of the slide plate (access cover), and then bind the slide plate.... which strains the auger motor.
    On Harmans
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.