Why does black stove pipe have such a short life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Got my liner kit today and realized that I'm going to need an elbow. In searching for an answer to whether I can use a black elbow or not I came across several threads staing that will last a year. Why is that? If one has a block off plate and fully insulated liner how does so much condensation form that close to the stove to ruin a black pipe? Now I don't know what I'm going to do if I cant find a SS liner.

Not true, I have some that is over 30 years old and it looks like new, if there is any pipe that only lasts a year I aint ever gonna stick it on any wood burner of mine.

My original thoughts were to use a black elbow at the stove connection, connecting that to the straight SS appliance adapter then to the liner.

stove>black elbow>ss adapter>liner.

So would this work?

I was questioning the life as well as I have seen black pipe on free standers that is as old as I.

Is this in a fireplace?

You really don't want an elbow directly on top of your stove (that's the way I am interpreting what you are saying, maybe I'm wrong).

Instead, if your stove is a top exit it should travel up for a few feet then, the 90, then then SS adapter, then liner.

BTW, so long as that elbow is not right on the stove, I see no problem w/ black pipe going to the SS liner adapter.

pen

pen said:
Is this in a fireplace?

You really don't want an elbow directly on top of your stove (that's the way I am interpreting what you are saying, maybe I'm wrong).

You are correct Pen for what I was thinking

Is this due to poor drafting or other reason? I have seen the offset boxes used and figured a 30 degree elbow would have better draft than those. I don't think I have a few feet to work with. The way my flue sits in relation to the fire box I am pretty sure I can get one bend in the liner to connect to an elbow. It wouldn't have to be a double elbow.

It's tough in some of those cases. The less bends the better. If you do have a bend close to the stove, you will be fine if you have good length above there. What will the length of the liner be?

pen

The liner will be 20' and fully insulated. I need about 30 degrees to get through the damper area. It's just pretty hard to find SS elbow around here and I was trying to avoid waiting another week to order one. Want to make sure it's right and didn't know if black would work. I know I wouldn't want it up in the chimney but wasn't sure about using 1 elbow within the firebox (it will be below the block off plate).

If there is enough room, perhaps you can get the liner directly onto the stove w/ the adapter? If not, use the 45 degree elbow that is available.

W/ that length and fully insulated, you should be just fine.

pen

You can do what ya gotta do but after one season with a black pipe adjustable elbow between my 30-NC in the fireplace and the flex liner I pulled it and replaced it. Those things are flimsy and the heat blasting right out of the flue collar into the turn is brutal. And I have had them come apart in my hands just adjusting them. The temps they deal with a few feet above a free standing stove don't compare to what is coming off the flue collar. They cost around 40 bucks more than a stove shop 24 gauge adjustable black pipe elbow but they are not only easier to connect, once they are there they are there forever. They come in 15, 30, 45 and ninety degree fixed LEAKPROOF angles. Also if you ever need to lift the liner for any reason you just reach in and loosen the band.

http://www.hartshearth.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6331&idcategory=0

Here is mine.

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,067
In heavy, 24 gauge black that should work ok. It may not last as long, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got a good 5 years or more out of it.

Methinks you mean 22 gauge BG.

All the better. It's the thin 26 ga blue-black stuff that goes south quickly.

I'd think any comments about life expectancy with regard to an elbow, was not about the color of the pipe, but rather because it is indeed, an "elbow."

From the very beginning of my wood burning experience, I have heard that the life-expectancy of elbows is less than straight pipe by virtue of the fact that is is a location where creosote build up can occur more demonstratively.

Now whether or not a fastidious approach to keeping the flue pipe clean, (neurotically so), might extend the life of the flue pipe's elbow(s) is probably true to some extent; but I've heard it said that where straight pipe can be used, so much the better. Which forces me to ask if you have an alternative, such as buying a stove that doesn't require any angles to the flue pipe.

Of course I realize that is a more expensive solution than working with what you have, but still..........

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Now whether or not a fastidious approach to keeping the flue pipe clean, (neurotically so), might extend the life of the flue pipe's elbow(s) is probably true to some extent; but I've heard it said that where straight pipe can be used, so much the better. Which forces me to ask if you have an alternative, such as buying a stove that doesn't require any angles to the flue pipe.
Of course I realize that is a more expensive solution than working with what you have, but still..........

-Soupy1957

I don't think there is a stove made that would let me avoid an angle with the way my flue is designed.

soupy1957 said:
I'd think any comments about life expectancy with regard to an elbow, was not about the color of the pipe, but rather because it is indeed, an "elbow."

From the very beginning of my wood burning experience, I have heard that the life-expectancy of elbows is less than straight pipe by virtue of the fact that is is a location where creosote build up can occur more demonstratively.

-Soupy1957
I've got black a 24 gauge elbow over 30 years old and looks new, my elbows are 60 years old and they do not look new.

Heck I have a question of my own. Where in the world, well outside of the U.K., can you find a 30 degree fixed 22 or 24 gauge single wall black pipe elbow?

They may be out there but I have never seen one.

Stainless Steel is not a color its rust resistent and much stronger,

I lived eleven yr. in an old miner's cabin with a couple of wood stoves in it. When I moved in, the landlord had bought and installed the absolute cheapest thin black stove pipe, both inside the cabin and above the roof. I had to clean the junk out of the above-the-roof portion about once a month.

However, when I moved out, the exact same pipe was still installed and still ok. Perhaps there is a difference in what wood is burned, or other stuff burned? That could make more acidic gases? I don't know, but mine pipe lasted all those years with no trouble.

I'm running about 6' of 6" smokepipe right now, with the newest in their 11th season. And a couple of elbows
adjusted to much less than 90 deg. One elbow at 45 deg right off the stove. All plain black-painted mild steel.
All working fine. One cleaning/year does it.
Chemically, you'd expect stainless to react much less than mild steel to poo that might occur in the pipe.

Endurance of 1 yr, fuhgeddaboudit!

Well I guess I was worried for nothing. The hardware store had 1 SS elbow in the back like BB posted a pic of. No price anywhere so they gave it to me for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.