Why Does my P43 Temp Gauge Fluctuate So Much??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
i have a magnetic thermometer that I stick on the side of my stove. I will get readings from 400-450. Why is there a fluctuation in temp if I am running the stove in the exact same conditions? Sometimes my maximum output is 400 and at other times it gets to 450. Same pellets, same exact settings but temp differences of 50 degrees. I do have an outside air kit.

My stove does the same. I think the room temperature has a lot to do with it. Colder room air entering the stove will cool it some. The convection blower moves a lot of air through the heat exchanger. The outside air temp seems to have less effect, at least on mine.

Not sure how you are running it, but I'm assuming it's in Stove mode at a lower setting based on your temp numbers. Feed rate should be a constant, but pellet length, and density, varies obviously which can affect temps a bit. Not sure how much convection speed varies but this would affect stove box temps slightly. If your stove mode setting is low enough conv isn't running.

Room mode all bets are off for a constant box temp.

Not sure how you are running it, but I'm assuming it's in Stove mode at a lower setting based on your temp numbers. Feed rate should be a constant, but pellet length, and density, varies obviously which can affect temps a bit. Not sure how much convection speed varies but this would affect stove box temps slightly. If your stove mode setting is low enough conv isn't running.

Room mode all bets are off for a constant box temp.

This is normal in room temperature the stove module in the same way as if you electrically heat with an electronic thermostat to keep the temperature at .5 degree of setpoint

i have a magnetic thermometer that I stick on the side of my stove. I will get readings from 400-450. Why is there a fluctuation in temp if I am running the stove in the exact same conditions? Sometimes my maximum output is 400 and at other times it gets to 450. Same pellets, same exact settings but temp differences of 50 degrees. I do have an outside air kit.
Knowing how Harmans regulate the burn as they do, I'm surprised it isn't more than that. It makes a difference what mode you are running in too ( which you didn't mention). Harman stoves are constantly monitoring exhaust gas temp and adjusting feed rate and burn accordingly ( feed of anywhere from 1 up to your limit you set on the dial, usually around 4 for most of us). If you run in room temp mode, they then also monitor what the room temp probe gives the board for info and further fine tune the flame to maintain a constant house temp. In regulating a constant house temp and exhaust gas temp as well, the radiant heat will be constantly changing and so your thermometer is reading that accordingly.. A more accurate test is what does your house read ? Usually within 1 degree in room temp mode, with the stove up and down in burn rate to hold it there.

Thanks jzm. I am in stove temp mode and the unit is fully cranked. I have to put thermostat at its highest to maintain temp on the other side of the house.

Ok guys, let me clarify. Those temps of 400-450 are with the unit fully cranked at 90 degrees in room temp mode high. Feed adjuster is at 4. I'm not sure the unit would be sensing the probe to slow things down a bit since I have it at 90. Unless I'm missing something?

My P43 with all settings at max will put out the most heat just after start up. I have a remote thermometer in air output. Again, all settings maxed feed, room or stove I get 345 to 365. After startup it drops to 275 and I get a slow flame. Burn pot looks like it doesn't have enough pellets. I have cold air feed and exhaust is less then 3 ft. Stove is well cleaned and installed new ESP. I beginning to think I have a bad control board?

Status
Not open for further replies.