why does wood burn faster at -10?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparksalot

Hearth Supporter
Aug 21, 2006
Montana
i am sure this has been answered before but i could not find the thread..when it is really cold my wood burns really fast and there is not many coals left for me to throw the next log on top of....i have a really hard time adjusting my jotul castine in this weather,..i end up throwing a log on too early and then overfiring....anyone with advice or jotul advice would be appreciated..thanks

i don't understand it but the draft gets stronger the colder it is outside.

Sparky7720 said:
i am sure this has been answered before but i could not find the thread..when it is really cold my wood burns really fast and there is not many coals left for me to throw the next log on top of....i have a really hard time adjusting my jotul castine in this weather,..i end up throwing a log on too early and then overfiring....anyone with advice or jotul advice would be appreciated..thanks

I believe that among other things, draft is created by a temperature difference between the bottom of the chimney and the top (other factors are chimney height, wind, and probably atmospheric pressure). The colder it is outside (without a similar drop in temperature inside) the stronger the draft will be. The more oxygen being pulled through the stove, the more fuel burns at once, and the hotter the fire.

That's my understanding, anyhow.

-Hal

The other factor that probably is going to happen is one is likely to push the stove a lot harder at -10. I know I did as it approached 20. I didn't want to see that stovetop much below 500 degrees and that contributed to a surge in wood consumption.

-10 Oy!, makes my bones ache. We listen to Internet radio and Minnesota Public Radio was on the other morning. You could hear the quiet sighs and moans about the lows being -20 or worse as she read the evening weather forcast.

Consumption and burn rate should be up here for the next few days. Daytime highs for the near future are only in the single digits, lows of more than -10, without the wind chill. It's a balmy 2* right now; 73* in my office though :cheese:

I have noticed the same thing with my Jotul Castine also. I only have the air open at about 10 percent and the stove top stays at around 550 degrees. It is cold here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin right now, somewhere around 3 degrees with strong winds. My stove has been able to handle the entire house, roughly 1500 square feet. The furnace has not come on since early this morning when the fire had died down. Wood consumption has not been too bad, a couple of logs every couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.