1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Why I buck it 14.75!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, Nov 2, 2010.

1. indiana4spartans

indiana4spartans Member

Loc:
    N. Indiana
    Thanks Zap. I figured as much. I have been loading N/S exclusively to start the season and like it a lot. About half my wood right now for this year is set up for N/S.

So, this doesn't greatly affect burning times/heat output?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Solar is the Blaze King King a cat stove? Chit with that load you can leave for a week! :snake:

zap
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    It is a cat. I can go away for a long weekend and throw a few pine splits on when I get back and have it light off. I start very few fires.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Yeah I'd bet with that much wood in the thing!

I haven't lit a fire for a good month now. I reload the stove 2x a day but I don't pack it it, just 3-4 splits. I have the princess.
  5. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Loc:
    PENNSYLVANIA
    You probably could have kept it a little cooler in your house and saved some wood. Especially since you expend the extra effort of cutting your wood so short. 81 degrees is just to hot for most people. I like burning for heat too and have long burn times but I don't want to burn any more wood then necessary. I mean do you like having your house at 81 in July , why would 81 be good in November.
  6. trailmaker

trailmaker Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    I also buck short rounds for North South loading. The smaller rounds are easier to move and they cure faster because they have a higher ratio of end grain to volume.
  7. thewoodlands

I think we get longer burn times loading n/s compared to e/w. Tonight I plan to throw on what is left of the dead standing sugar maple I cut on 10-09-2010 along with some dead standing cherry that was cut in early November, it should make for a nice fire.

zap

Attached Files:

8. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    I load E/W in the Oslo with 20' splits, In the deep winter months I'll let her rip to about 600-625 and then tap the air down.
    I do occasionally burn chunks N/S, but the way the Oslo is designed, It's a faster burn rate. Sometimes when its really cold and windy, I'll easily
    hit 650 with the draft control wide open for even the shortest period of time. Nice shots zap!

WoodButcher
  9. thewoodlands

[quote author="WOODBUTCHER" date="1290242480"]I load E/W in the Oslo with 20' splits, In the deep winter months I'll let her rip to about 600-625 and then tap the air down.
    I do occasionally burn chunks N/S, but the way the Oslo is designed, It's a faster burn rate. Sometimes when its really cold and windy, I'll easily
    hit 650 with the draft control wide open for even the shortest period of time. Nice shots zap!

WoodButcher you have a nice looking stove, what color did you go with?

zap
  10. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT

Attached Files:

11. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    In my Jotul Rockland insert I think it would be awkward to load N/S since it can handle 20-23 inch wide splits and probably on 12-13 N/S. Also the box is shaped like a fireplace where it is wider in the front and narrower in the back so N/S splits would need angled. I might cut some, short ones for a try, I like the idea on not hitting the glass. I think a couple east west on the bottom then the second layer n/s may work. Does anyone else go N/S in a Rockland?
  12. thewoodlands