Why I buck it 14.75!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Zap. I figured as much. I have been loading N/S exclusively to start the season and like it a lot. About half my wood right now for this year is set up for N/S.

So, this doesn't greatly affect burning times/heat output?

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
I think it is safer because you don't have to worry about the wood rolling out and hitting the glass like you would e/w.

Plus loading n/s I think we can get more wood in.

x100. Not only can you get more in but it is also easier. I replaced 3 panes of $100 glass on my old EW stove but I don't think any log has even touched the glass on the new one even though it gets loaded this full every time.

Now, it the goal is ambiance instead of heat, I might think differently. Of course, if the goal was ambiance, I wouldn't have bought the stove I did.

Solar is the Blaze King King a cat stove? Chit with that load you can leave for a week! :snake:

zap

It is a cat. I can go away for a long weekend and throw a few pine splits on when I get back and have it light off. I start very few fires.

Yeah I'd bet with that much wood in the thing!

I haven't lit a fire for a good month now. I reload the stove 2x a day but I don't pack it it, just 3-4 splits. I have the princess.

You probably could have kept it a little cooler in your house and saved some wood. Especially since you expend the extra effort of cutting your wood so short. 81 degrees is just to hot for most people. I like burning for heat too and have long burn times but I don't want to burn any more wood then necessary. I mean do you like having your house at 81 in July , why would 81 be good in November.

I also buck short rounds for North South loading. The smaller rounds are easier to move and they cure faster because they have a higher ratio of end grain to volume.

trailmaker said:
I also buck short rounds for North South loading. The smaller rounds are easier to move and they cure faster because they have a higher ratio of end grain to volume.

I think we get longer burn times loading n/s compared to e/w. Tonight I plan to throw on what is left of the dead standing sugar maple I cut on 10-09-2010 along with some dead standing cherry that was cut in early November, it should make for a nice fire.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1634.jpg
    100_1634.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_1926.jpg
    100_1926.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_1927.jpg
    100_1927.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 196
I load E/W in the Oslo with 20' splits, In the deep winter months I'll let her rip to about 600-625 and then tap the air down.
I do occasionally burn chunks N/S, but the way the Oslo is designed, It's a faster burn rate. Sometimes when its really cold and windy, I'll easily
hit 650 with the draft control wide open for even the shortest period of time. Nice shots zap!

WoodButcher

[quote author="WOODBUTCHER" date="1290242480"]I load E/W in the Oslo with 20' splits, In the deep winter months I'll let her rip to about 600-625 and then tap the air down.
I do occasionally burn chunks N/S, but the way the Oslo is designed, It's a faster burn rate. Sometimes when its really cold and windy, I'll easily
hit 650 with the draft control wide open for even the shortest period of time. Nice shots zap!

WoodButcher you have a nice looking stove, what color did you go with?

zap

zapny said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
I load E/W in the Oslo with 20' splits, In the deep winter months I'll let her rip to about 600-625 and then tap the air down.

I went with regular black due to the fact that at the time my dealer had a truck load selling them for 1,399.00 back in 04, I just had to settle for it.
If I had my choice it would be Brown Majolica, but 400 clamps to look purdy.....maybe

zap

Attachments

• WB_Woodbin_0002.jpg
    WB_Woodbin_0002.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 155
In my Jotul Rockland insert I think it would be awkward to load N/S since it can handle 20-23 inch wide splits and probably on 12-13 N/S. Also the box is shaped like a fireplace where it is wider in the front and narrower in the back so N/S splits would need angled. I might cut some, short ones for a try, I like the idea on not hitting the glass. I think a couple east west on the bottom then the second layer n/s may work. Does anyone else go N/S in a Rockland?

WOODBUTCHER said:
zapny said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

I went with regular black due to the fact that at the time my dealer had a truck load selling them for 1,399.00 back in 04, I just had to settle for it.
If I had my choice it would be Brown Majolica, but 400 clamps to look purdy.....maybe

zap

Your Oslo looks great plus I like the setup.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.