Why is Micore 300 so darn hard to find in Northern New Jersey!!!!? See where you can get it for $15

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njkev

Hearth Supporter
Aug 31, 2008
New Jersey
It's amazing how many hardware & "big box" (Lowes, Home Depot ,etc.) stores, Lumber yards, insulation supply houses, and wood stove places I have called....and NONE carry Micore!! ALL have said..."Yeah....we should carry that...a lot of people sure do call and ask!" Before today....the CLOSEST distributor that has it in stock is located in Linden, NJ. I actually DID finally find a warehouse TODAY that carries it locally at $15/sheet!! I will certainly post the location ONCE I have MY 3 sheets of that stuff!!!!!!!!!

kev

P.S. I did find one insulation supply house that has stock of Owen Corning Fiberglas 705 rigid insulation material that has excellent conductivity curve, but does not have a quarter of the lbs/ sq. ft weight handling capability. It is available in from 1" to 4" thickness in 1/2" increments.

I was also disappointed in the lack of availability of this product. I couldn't find it. The hardware and building supply companies had never heard of it, and the Micore "dealer locator" was no help at all. Since I couldn't find it I used dead air space for insulation and ended up with a raised hearth. I am actually pretty happy about the raised hearth.

The distributor that carries it in southern Maine would only sell it to commercial outfits. So I had to have my local lumber yard/building supply order it for me.

Highbeam said:
I was also disappointed in the lack of availability of this product. I couldn't find it. The hardware and building supply companies had never heard of it, and the Micore "dealer locator" was no help at all. Since I couldn't find it I used dead air space for insulation and ended up with a raised hearth. I am actually pretty happy about the raised hearth.

Highbeam,
How did you construct yours using "dead air"? Did you simply use block supporting Durok cement board? Mine is going to be a raised hearth too....but using 2"x6" lumber for a wood frame with 8" spacing between studs. This frame is then covered with 3/4" plywood, 1" Micore, 1/2" or 1" Durok, and then 1/4" ceramic tile.
kev

Get some old cubicle walls out of the dump. Most of them are made with Micore because it deadens sound and meets fire specs.

In New England, try Kamco - they sell mostly to commercial accounts, but will order Micore (and mineral fiber) for you if they don't already have it in stock.

njkev said:
Highbeam said:

Highbeam,
How did you construct yours using "dead air"? Did you simply use block supporting Durok cement board? Mine is going to be a raised hearth too....but using 2"x6" lumber for a wood frame with 8" spacing between studs. This frame is then covered with 3/4" plywood, 1" Micore, 1/2" or 1" Durok, and then 1/4" ceramic tile.
kev

I used steel studs to give me 3.5" of dead air space and then two layers of durock on top of that to support the stove and tile. The steel studs can be screwed or riveted together to make a platform that is non-combustible. I ended up using the dead air space to route my intake air duct. Oversized hearth for sure.

Attachments

• smalla3.JPG
    smalla3.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 763
Highbeam said:
njkev said:
Highbeam said:

Highbeam,
kev

I used steel studs to give me 3.5" of dead air space and then two layers of durock on top of that to support the stove and tile. The steel studs can be screwed or riveted together to make a platform that is non-combustible. I ended up using the dead air space to route my intake air duct. Oversized hearth for sure.

I was under the impression that you need 3/4" plywood to support the Durok (and anything else above it). The Durok is rigid but does NOT have nearly as much "Ultimate Tensile Strength" as the plywood.

Well, so far so good. Many folks have built the rasied platforms with only the durock providing the support. I wouldn't use a single layer of durock though since the first layer alone wasn't nearly as stiff as after I added the second layer with offset butt joints and a layer of thinset between. Firmed it right up. Adding a layer of plywood would ruin the hearth since the wood is combustible. I used the air space to provide my required hearth R-value.

If you are worried about the stove legs punching through the tile and durock then you could always add some sort of additional supports directly beneath the feet. I sometimes wish I had done that but it's too late. I have had no cracked tiles or grout and my stove is pretty heavy.

In the event anyone in Northern NJ is looking for Micore 300 in 72"x20"x1" sheets:

J.B. Fireplace has it at their warehouse location in Oakland,NJ! I must have called over 50 places...and no one had any nor could they even "tell" me where I could buy it locally. The internet places have the stuff available for over $50 a sheet plus shipping!! A rip-off! You can purchase it at J.B. Fireplace warehouse for only $15 a sheet!! have provided the contact information below for J.B Fireplace warehouse. They are very friendly and helpful people over there. Please give me a shout if this post was helpful to you.
Kev

JB Fireplaces Inc (Warehouse)
56 Spruce Street
Oakland, NJ 07436
Phone: (201) 337 - 4600
Fax: (201) 337 - 3121
Email: [email protected]
Hours: M-F 9-5

SHOUT!!!!!

I live in Bloomingdale and will need micore soon. I can almost spit to Oakland from here (thanks to 287). Thank you for saving a 6 month along pregnant lady with a 20 month old a lot of running around!

A very big help! Thank you Kev!

tutu_sue said:
SHOUT!!!!!

I live in Bloomingdale and will need micore soon. I can almost spit to Oakland from here (thanks to 287). Thank you for saving a 6 month along pregnant lady with a 20 month old a lot of running around!

A very big help! Thank you Kev!

You are very welcome Sue!! Glad I could help! I work right up in Boonton Twp, and live in Stockholm, NJ. We are practically neighbors!! :)
Kev

I made the 90 mile trip from Philly to North Jersey today. Took a little longer due to a flat tire but I was very happy with the level of service JB Fireplaces provided. I picked up 2 pieces of micore board and he hooked me up with a tube of gasket glue. It stinks they are 90 miles away but not many people around here have heard of micore and the one place that did were jerks on the phone and wanted an arm and a leg for the product.

Nobody ever listens to me but just find an old office cubicle wall and take it apart. Virtually all of them use Micore because it is fireproof and is a good sound deadner. That is why the damn things weigh a gazillion pounds.

There are millions of them in junk auctions and landfills.

Are drop ceiling tiles made out of Micore?

Hogwildz said:
Are drop ceiling tiles made out of Micore?

Nah. Most are mineral fiber or fiberglass.

BrotherBart said:
Nobody ever listens to me but just find an old office cubicle wall and take it apart. Virtually all of them use Micore because it is fireproof and is a good sound deadner. That is why the damn things weigh a gazillion pounds.

There are millions of them in junk auctions and landfills.

I think my grandparents have some old office cubicle junk in their basement, is it labeled if I was to pull one apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.