Why isn't the spark causing the pilot to start?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

strike2867

Oct 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
There is definitely a spark. When I use the lighter, the flame goes right across where the coils for the spark are. The flame color is blue, I can take a picture if it helps.

4PAzlPml.jpg

Ok, let's try this a different way.

Is it a gas LOGSET?
Is it a GAS FIREPLACE INSERT?
Is it a GAS FIRE PLACE?

Can you take a pic that shows the ENTIRE unit?

Ok. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that you have what is known as a Vent-free or household vented fireplace.
On the back side of the horizontal pilot burner (where the pilot flame actually comes out) there is a small hole, maybe 1/16" to 3/32" in diameter.
This is the ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor). Check to see if it is plugged with dust or lint.
You can try blowing it out with compressed air. It is a common symptom for that type of unit.
If that doesn't work, you will probably have to replace the ENTIRE pilot assembly (your first pic)

Ok. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that you have what is known as a Vent-free or household vented fireplace.
On the back side of the horizontal pilot burner (where the pilot flame actually comes out) there is a small hole, maybe 1/16" to 3/32" in diameter.
This is the ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor). Check to see if it is plugged with dust or lint.
You can try blowing it out with compressed air. It is a common symptom for that type of unit.
If that doesn't work, you will probably have to replace the ENTIRE pilot assembly (your first pic)

What's happening is if I hold the pilot, I can hear and smell the gas coming out. While holding I hit the spark. I see the spark, still hear the gas, but no pilot light comes on. If I don't use the spark, but use the lighter, everything works. With that context, could it still be the O sensor?

Does the pilot stay lit when you use the lighter & release the pilot knob?
Is the spark actually IN the gas flow from the pilot burner?

Does the pilot stay lit when you use the lighter & release the pilot knob?
Is the spark actually IN the gas flow from the pilot burner?

The pilot stays lit when I use the lighter, it is a blue color. Once the pilot is lit, everything works as expected. It stays lit and I can turn the fireplace on and off. Through visual inspection, the spark is in the way of the gas. When I use the lighter, it sits inside the pilot flame.

Is it possible he needs to clean up the ignitor and contact surfaces? Maybe some corrosion is causing a weak spark.