1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Why My Wood Isn't Burning

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Woodburner, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodburner

Woodburner New Member

Loc:
    Arlington, VA
    I am preparing to teach a class on woodstove troubleshooting for installers and service technicians. I want to make sure I cover all the right topics, so I'll ask;

What problems are you having with your wood stove?
    What was the solution?
    What do you wish the the delaer or service guy knew...but he didn't?

I am looking for topics that should be covered.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nokoni

Nokoni New Member

Just had a stove installed. I was troubled by the varying information I got regarding clearances, appropriate materials for hearth, wall behind stove, pipe clearances, etc. I wish the installers would have told me exactly what was required rather than what "we can do" or what "everybody does". Our city inspectors had no information or really advice on what to do.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Rick the most important advice is to know their products manufactures specs and install them according to them and code
    It seeems they either have never taken the time to read beyond the cover or they can"t read. They also need a refresher course pertaining to code If they do not know. then be smart enough to say, I have to look it up and not I think or guess. I could take all day and list topics to cover where education can address miss information or half a** installs. Even today I posted a question concerning sizing liners Check back through the post and you will get plenty of info for your class. Plus examples of too many cases of bad information
  4. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

<DELETED> by Rhonemas

Sorry, misinterpreted and my response didn't make sense.
  5. annette

annette Member

Loc:
    the Indiana Riviera
    There seem to be a lot of people who are unhappy with their stoves because they have poor draft, which ends up being the fault of the chimney and not the stove. Emphasizing the importance of following the manual's mandated chimney height and diameter, and taking outside chimneys or bends into consideration, would result in many more happy customers.

When I read here about homeowners who have to insist that the installers do something according to the manual so it will draft right, like knock out an air-feed hole in an insert, I think that's pretty bad. Installers should know the product they are installing.

Also, spending more time with a customer teaching them how to use the stove would minimize or prevent frustration. There's a reason for the 30% markup on woodstoves, I've been told that it's because the sale doesn't end until the customer knows how to make the stove work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.