• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this and what the heck! I have never heard of "black carbon"

Seen this sort of thing before. It is basically soot. What they fail to be honest about it that a diesel engines produces more than burning seasoned wood * ** ***:
  • 18% Residential biofuel burned with traditional technologies
  • 14% Diesel engines for transportation
  • 10% Diesel engines for industrial use
  • 10% Industrial processes and power generation, usually from smaller boilers
So if one "really" wants to reduce black carbon, stop using your computer/tablet/smartphone (manufacture and power generation) and buying stuff from Amazon (manufacture and transport -- which is mostly transported by diesel trains/trucks or even worse ships using bunker oil). What are the odds non-wood burners would do either of those? :)

Wood burning is just an "easy" target for those that are in denial about their own contribution to the problem.

* source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_carbon#By_source
** don't even get me started about VW's <cough>self reporting as an eco-green European company</cough> and their diesel emissions....
*** My tractor has a diesel engine, I am not anti-diesel as it gives more torque when such is needed, just suggesting this "black-carbon" issue needs to be placed in perspective, else it is just propaganda.

Last edited:
True... wasn't suggesting gaming was the favored alternative! No guide to raising 'em, unfortunately, but there are examples to go by. Like you said, self-reliance is the most important lesson... but we may have differing ways of teaching that lesson. Either way, it is interesting to note that those politicians promoting various social programs are never the product of such programs, themselves.
Problem is you have one guy cuts wood all summer to heat his home and his neighbor just signs up for LIHEAP and the taxpayers pay to fill his oil tank for free. Begs the question which one is smarter. The more the Govt jumps in to fill every need and want the less incentive for young people to gather the ambition to excel above all that. Certainly not teaching self reliance but dependency.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.