Why We Buy Big Wood Stoves Here In The Tropics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a transplanted Yooper with a very short driveway and who missed out on the big December storm, I say let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

And again we're missing the snow . .. arrgghhhh . . . please send it north!

With the storm brewing that is coming this way this weekend you really might be mad about the snow we are getting. Me, I could care less, snow or no snow I am just ready for spring.

I love the fire and all but by this time of year the whole burning wood deal gets old.

mellow said:
I love the fire and all but by this time of year the whole burning wood deal gets old.

I am always tired of it by Thanksgiving.

First winter here we got a big surprise somewhere over 40' of snow. We were not ready for it and luckily there are Moose all around the house. It was Moose meat and potatoes mostly that winter. Next summer we had to make a decision whether we could live being snowed in or not. My DW and I are happy we decided to stay as its been a great life out here.
For those who are wishing for spring its different here as we hope the snow stays as long as possible. We ski almost every day and just love it. Our track is a natural valley and we travel the river coming across many friends such as the Otter family that pays no attention to us in winter but in summer is a little more standoffish. We climb the mountains on snowshoes carrying our skis and then ski the ridge. Sometimes we jump a small vertical drop and disappear into gigantic drifts held up by invisible willow branches. I have to admit we are more careful now but still ski the same trails. The Moose outside are safe now as we take our meat earlier in the season. Only Wolves eat the willow fed Moose.

In these economic times, or anytime up here for that matter, that kind of above-average snowfall would blow out the snow removal budget for the municipalities. I imagine you folks down in the Midatlantic will be hurting pretty bad come March. You've probably had 5X your average snowfall already! Not to mention some school kids will likely be in school until the 4th of July!

Luckily a lot of the snow either fell near xmas break or on a weekend. Today was only the 4th school snow day here, so they are at but not yet over the limit.

The estimates for saturday's storm keep going up. 12"-16" now. And maybe even more tuesday. But a lot of the snow from last saturday and last night has already melted.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
In these economic times, or anytime up here for that matter, that kind of above-average snowfall would blow out the snow removal budget for the municipalities. I imagine you folks down in the Midatlantic will be hurting pretty bad come March. You've probably had 5X your average snowfall already! Not to mention some school kids will likely be in school until the 4th of July!

Yup. They completely took snow possibilities out of the budget. We had snow on Saturday, they plowed the major roads by Monday. They got to some of the others by today, but a lot never got plowed or even sand/salt. It was rather shocking as I am from NY. Most of the schools are still closed but the snow is not fun to play in anymore it's just a nasty wet mess.

snowtime said:
First winter here we got a big surprise somewhere over 40' of snow. We were not ready for it and luckily there are Moose all around the house. It was Moose meat and potatoes mostly that winter. Next summer we had to make a decision whether we could live being snowed in or not. My DW and I are happy we decided to stay as its been a great life out here.
For those who are wishing for spring its different here as we hope the snow stays as long as possible. We ski almost every day and just love it. Our track is a natural valley and we travel the river coming across many friends such as the Otter family that pays no attention to us in winter but in summer is a little more standoffish. We climb the mountains on snowshoes carrying our skis and then ski the ridge. Sometimes we jump a small vertical drop and disappear into gigantic drifts held up by invisible willow branches. I have to admit we are more careful now but still ski the same trails. The Moose outside are safe now as we take our meat earlier in the season. Only Wolves eat the willow fed Moose.

Snowtime, Sounds like a great life you have out in BC. Makes me want to go west to the Rockies. Spent some time near the continental divide in Colorado, some of my best memories. It is like a different planet.

mellow said:
With the storm brewing that is coming this way this weekend you really might be mad about the snow we are getting. Me, I could care less, snow or no snow I am just ready for spring.

I heard . . . another foot to 2 feet of snow for the mid-Atlantic states . . . and it's forecasted to hit you guys and somewhere around NY blow out to sea missing us completely . . . I might go drown my sorrows by cutting some firewood since there isn't enough snow to play with any more. :(

Wallyworld said:
firefighterjake said:
And again we're missing the snow . .. arrgghhhh . . . please send it north!

I didn't miss it, we got 4 or 5 inches on the coast

You really must live downeast . . . since WABI was showing that the only folks who really got anything out of this storm were folks around Belfast to Eastport . . . all I ended up with in Unity was a dusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.