Wider tires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Anyone put wider tires on your splitter?

I'm wondering if it's possible. The skinny tires that are on there now just dig in. Make it harder to tow through soft ground. And generally just suck.

I don't see why you couldn't do it unless there are clearance issues, but that would probably depend your particular model of splitter.

If it gets towed on the road, you could use snowmobile trailer type tires. If it doesn't go on the road, you could use lawn tractor or ATV type tires.

or golf cart tires

You could just throw a couple of pieces of 2X8 under the wheels to keep it from sinking in (like I do). Lot cheaper than new tires.

I have one of those small 5' X 6' TSC utility trailers that I haul rounds out of the woods with ....... it came with those small tires / wheels that had a tread width of maybe 4 inches. With a load of wood it would constantly rut and sink in the mud.

I had a set of Chevy tires and wheels from an old Astro ....... 15 inchers with plenty of tread width .......... so I found a couple of wheel adapters ( online and not cheap ) that went from the smaller trailer bolt pattern to the Chevies ...... worked like a charm ! I had to remove the trailer fenders ........ but I only use it in the woods so no problem.

Last edited:
You could just throw a couple of pieces of 2X8 under the wheels to keep it from sinking in (like I do). Lot cheaper than new tires.
would be a lot of work wouldn't it? :eek::cool::p
put board in front of tire
drive forward
get board from back and put in front of tire
rinse and repeat

I just put a cleat at each end of the 2X8 and drive slowly

I'm not so much concerned about when I'm stopped and splitting. I'm concerned about tearing up trails in this soupy mess. I've got a lawn roller I run down trails, but the skinny tires dig deeper than the rollers efficacy.

Any tire on a tow-able Off road item like your splitter wouldn't need a tire with aggressive tread.
A low-tread tire would be better as it would be less likely to tear up the lawn areas.

It is like that on a zero-turn mower. The front caster wheel have tires with NO tread because they don't require traction.

A tire on a splitter would need very little "Grip". IMHO.

Any tire on a tow-able Off road item like your splitter wouldn't need a tire with aggressive tread.
A low-tread tire would be better as it would be less likely to tear up the lawn areas.

It is like that on a zero-turn mower. The front caster wheel have tires with NO tread because they don't require traction.

A tire on a splitter would need very little "Grip". IMHO.
I don't want meat hooks on it at all. Golf cart tires would be great. But Idk if I need spacers for axle, bolt pattern, etc. I'm looking for a reference to do this wider tire. Maybe a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.