1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Widowmaker

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    When we speak of widow makers, it is any tree that has potential of falling limbs or even the tree tipping over. As AC has stated, we don't know when they will fall.

Widow makers are really truly widow makers on windy days.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    And from what I hear, they make great barber chairs too :(
    The worst I ever experienced is getting one tree hung up on another.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

50 shells...steel shot...3 inch ...size 2, it's still up there so I'll go 3... steel shot... 00 Buckshot, maybe during the week. Pic 5737 is before.

zap

Attached Files:

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Rope Zap, rope. much quicker & cheaper. Maybe not quite as much fun though. A C
  5. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Wow that surprises me. I figured one good shot would take it out. 50 shots later... Got any friends with a 50 caliber?
    Thistle likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sometimes where you have to cut you will hang lots of trees. For example, last winter I had a neighbor coming to cut trees and then I found out that he had never fell a tree. Well, actually he did a couple in his yard and we'll just say it wasn't pretty. So the first thing I taught him was how to fell a tree. Naturally he worried about hanging a tree. No problem. "Here, let me show you." So I fell not one, but 4 trees that hung up on other trees. Not a problem. I then showed him how to get them down using only the chain saw.

Then I cut a rather large tree that I was pretty sure would hang. It did. For this one though, it was pretty simple using only the atv. Hooked a chain and pulled it down. However, the atv and perhaps even a tractor could not pull this down if trying to pull it straight. So what to do? We just hook on the butt of the tree and pull it sideways. It took very little movement before the tree came crashing down.

Point is, hanging trees will be done no matter what you do if you are cutting in the woods and the trees are thick. It is or can be dangerous so one needs to know what he is doing and even then, be very careful. And even then, sometimes you may hang a tree and simply walk away from it and let Mother Nature finish the job. I had one like that last winter. It took 2 weeks but one day I went in back and the tree was down, thank you.
    Thistle and Realstone like this.
  7. thewoodlands

Maybe I could hire these guys to take down the WM. ::-)

Zap
  8. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    :) Don't use force, get a bigger hammer!
  9. thewoodlands

We will give mother nature today to bring this down, if she fails then I'm ready to take one last run at it with the equalizer.

zap
  10. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    I think you are in MI? If so, the cold front came through last night with some decent winds. Maybe its down already :cool:
  11. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Realstone, I'm in MI and that cold front was very welcome. Down to around 50 tonight. Zap is in far northern NY so he should be cool too.
  12. thewoodlands

It's dropped 20 degrees with the storm moving through, sittin at 70 the last I looked.
    zap
  13. thewoodlands

The birch finally cut loose but is still hanging from the hemlock, I'll either let mother nature take care of the rest or see if I can bring it down with a few more shots.

zap

Attached Files: