1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wild Mushrooms

Post in 'The Green Room' started by d.n.f., Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    Well the wife and I took a wild mushroom course on the weekend which included a field trip to the woods for some identification.

Got some oyster mushrooms, a few pine, and some lobster mushrooms. Fried them up with garlic and butter and ate them with French bread and bottle of champagne. Not bad. Might move a cottonwood log into the yard in hopes of getting some oyster mushrooms as they seem to grow like crazy on cottonwood.

Too late in the year (early frosts). But in the spring we will be shrooming. Looking for the easy ones. Figure it is best to stick to two to four that are common and easily identifiable. A mistake can be deadly.

Anyways, it was fun and good to forage. Hope next year when I am cutting, the wife can be finding some food other than huckelberries when we are in the woods.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jzr1

jzr1 New Member

Loc:
    central ma
    My mother and father have been doing this for years. Growing up I thought they were weird now you realize how expensive they are if you were to try to buy them. And they got some nice walks in the woods.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Morels and Hen-of-the-woods are pretty common around my part of the world. I usually get many pounds in the spring time. The morels on top of a porter house steak can't be beat. The h of the w are great when slowly simmered in a beef broth. Then add some fresh herbage at the very end. Yummmy!
  4. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC

Chuckle.

If I ever get a new digital camera I will post some pics of things. My old one is a p.o.s. and shuts down after one or two pics if it even turns on at all.
  5. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
  6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Chanterelles are one of my favorites that I learned you to 'hunt' back in the 90s. I don't get as much time to hit the woods and find them anymore but I do not think I can mistake them, especially that musty, dirty, apricot smell that the exude when you handle them and wipe them clean. I am looking to get in with the local mycology group here for some walks and education so thanks for the push...

The good thing that you said was that there ARE a few fungi that are easily identifiable and you can stick with those for now...
  7. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
  8. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Kinda like them Simple Simon ones myself. Got a cow farm down the road a ways, they grow all over the place down there, guy that owns the place lets me have all I want.
  9. Archie

Archie Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Late to the party, but you post some great links KC. It's only Tuesday, right? Crap. ;-)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.