Wild Weather...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyman512us

Feb 27, 2007
North Worc. CTY MA
Hey all...
Didn't know which room to post in so here goes:

Recently I've noticed some folks posting about "wild weather" knocking over trees (good firewood) storms that knock out the power etc...

So my question is this: What kind of wild weather has been going on and where? How many people has it affected?? (Geographically) Here in the Northeast (knock on wood) the weather has been fairly quiet...thankfully too I might ad.

So if a wildfire or flash flood rolls through your locale, high winds topple some trees,snow buries the woodpiles post it here...under this thread...just remember "Wild Weather"...

Who has been hit with this weather lately???

Wild weather here in east Tenn. is extreme heat..........it has been sweltering and dusty for weeks.........everything is brown and crunchy....my yard is brown and dusty....even the trees are starting to show stress.

Local rivers are down to the bottom.......

Robbie

Isabelle came up the coast and visted and blew down an 80 foot oak across my front yard just missing the house. Ivan spawned a tornado that ripped over thirty large trees apart and out of the ground up to within 18 feet from my house. I don't want any more wild weather. I am on vacation for the rest of my life from wild weather.

BrotherBart said:
Isabelle came up the coast and visted and blew down an 80 foot oak across my front yard just missing the house. Ivan spawned a tornado that ripped over thirty large trees apart and out of the ground up to within 18 feet from my house. I don't want any more wild weather. I am on vacation for the rest of my life from wild weather.
BB I would have to agree, wild weather is much more fun from a distance, in someone else's back yard. The only kind that is ok is the kind that wreaked havoc all around you and nonetheless, left you un-harmed. How often is that the case?

Keyman, Great thread!!!!!!! Lets all keep it going. Let us know if it happens to you!

Lotsa tornados. Numerous 2 nights ago throughout Michigan. SW side of the state and the east side got hammered. Uncommon in Michigan.....alot of trees down and people eager to get them outta there yards.

jpl1nh said:
The only kind that is ok is the kind that wreaked havoc all around you and nonetheless, left you un-harmed. How often is that the case?

Like the old comedian Slappy White said. The best place to be in case of a nuclear attack is where you can say 'What was that? Did you hear a noise.'"

Not much rain here lately. But when it comes, it comes with real strong wind that rips the Al flashing from the house and knocks over the neighbor's trees.

Lakes are real low right now.

Matt

BrotherBart said:
jpl1nh said:
The only kind that is ok is the kind that wreaked havoc all around you and nonetheless, left you un-harmed. How often is that the case?

Like the old comedian Slappy White said. The best place to be in case of a nuclear attack is where you can say 'What was that? Did you hear a noise.'"
Hmm.. the sound of mushrooms growing?

jpl1nh said:
Keyman, Great thread!!!!!!! Lets all keep it going. Let us know if it happens to you!

"Up here on the hill" you never know. Back in June we were getting so much rain the rainwater system couldn't keep up with it...the water dept. boys were running around doing flood mitigation cracking the gravity feed hydrants open to keep the reservoir from overflowing..Now???Now I'm down to about 300 gallons left in the rainwater system...but next time the rains come...I'll be ready (Thanks to Harley!) ;)

So the stats go MA,NY real dry, TN Dry and hot...Great lakes region has(had) the wild weather card right now...VA quiet in areas???

I'm in West Virginia and it's been dry all summer. I'm getting ready to go white water rafting and I'm betting it won't be any good this year. We have had a major drought all year.

karl said:
I'm in West Virginia and it's been dry all summer. I'm getting ready to go white water rafting and I'm betting it won't be any good this year. We have had a major drought all year.

The New will probably be less than exciting, but if you can take a trip down the Gauley you shouldn't have any problems. Dress for cold water if you do the Gauley, the water is from the bottom of the dam! If I remember it was about 40 degrees!

Matt

Rain- hot and muggy. Repeat. Then Rain - hot and muggy . Repeat. Lots of flooding and full water ways in the North IL and Mid/South Wisconsin area. When it ain't raining, its hot and muggy. Looks like we may be coming out of that cycle in the near future though. I sure hope so. I don't like splitting wood when its raining or hot and muggy. And I like splitting wood. (thats to keep this hearth related). Sure could go for a couple of weeks of 70 deg. and sunny right now.

Northern Wisconsin is very dry. Southwestern part is flooded. We lost some roads, bridges damaged. Four counties declared disaster zones. Fema is evaluating the destruction. I had four inches of rain in one night. The power went out after Gay's Mills town flooded. Left everyone homeless and basically screwed. Cars damaged, homes knee high with mud and water, personally belongings mostly ruined. Left the cabin when the electric was out for 12 hours. Had trouble getting back to Milwaukee, highway 60 was closed, the Wisconsin River was on top of it. Saw raging water coming from the large hills rip the culverts out from under driveways, and then they would collapse. Leaving no access to the property and you can't get out. Flooded the corn fields and ruined many crops. This is an area of hard working people, that cannot afford to lose any money. Left young couples stranded at restaurants without money or any place to go. It makes you sick to see what destruction the weather can do.

This one town flooded in 93 and after mountains of paperwork they got $50.00 from the Federal Government to rebuild. Around here flood insurance is a joke, covers the structure. It's expensive insurance and the average person in this area cannot afford it. I am leaving tomorrow and I am staying until Sept. 10th. Will help if I can.

We just had a local Milwaukee businessman give 50 million away. He gave 30 mil to Marquette University to build another building probably named after him. Also to use the money for grants to the law school. Don't mean to step on any toes here but I think we have enough lawyers. Anyhow just think of the good this man could of done to help the disaster victim's. These are people in need, not welfare recipient's. How about if he bought them appliances, hired 100 people out of work to help clean up. What about bringing food, clothing, etc. How about starting a clinic with doctors and dentists to help the uninsured. But no he wants to help his fellow lawyers get free education. That makes me about as sick as the flooding. Sorry had to rant.

11 Bravo said:
Lotsa tornados. Numerous 2 nights ago throughout Michigan. SW side of the state and the east side got hammered. Uncommon in Michigan.....alot of trees down and people eager to get them outta there yards.

Most of Michigan had been burning up because of lack of rain. Last week we received 4.5" and it was very welcome! Some areas got way too much rain and others got nothing or very close to nothing. There were several tornados last Friday but none close to us.

Forecast possible severe storms today but I don't see much out there yet.

Eaten by Limestone, since you're a rafter too, I thought I would give you an idea of how bad it is here. They only have 23 days scheduled for the Gauley this year. If any of you decided to go, spring for the wet suit. That water is cold. The New River is usually warm.

karl said:
Eaten by Limestone, since you're a rafter too, I thought I would give you an idea of how bad it is here. They only have 23 days scheduled for the Gauley this year. If any of you decided to go, spring for the wet suit. That water is cold. The New River is usually warm.

The New, Cheat and Upper Gauley are fun but if you want to be so busy and puckered that you don't remember if your are cold or not do the Upper Youghiogheny at full flow. That was the one I retired from rafting on. No pools and no place to get out on the way. Just an eleven mile train wreck from put in to take out. Lost the guide three times and finally stuck him in the back on the floor after he lost his paddle. Got tired of grabbing him on the way by.

The best way to see that river is through binoculars.

There was a river in Md that I wanted to hit. Supposedly it was all technical. They would only use 4 people/boat + guide. I never had the chance to do it.

In NY, they have a few rafting companies, but I haven't bothered looking into them, I bet they don't have anything over a class I or II.

I've been slowly getting into kayaking, recreational so far, but I may be able to slip a little excitement in some time!

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
There was a river in Md that I wanted to hit.

That's the Top Yough and the Upper Yough. Top Yough is 100% technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.