1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wildlife pics part II - 2010 deer season

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by OhioBurner©, Nov 28, 2010.

1. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Ok had a few more pics from this years archery hunts I wanted to post up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    very nice burner ;-)

loon
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.
  4. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks all, off hand I wasnt sure what the bird is in the second picture? Is it a titmouse does anyone know? I'm no expert at birds but I do try and figure out what they are when I see em.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    The bird in the second pic looks a lot like the tufted titmouse (titmice?) that I see here in Maine . . . but I'm not sure if Ohio and Maine have the same species.
  6. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    this is a Tufted-titmouse...pretty sure they are the same? :)

[​IMG]
  7. wood spliter

wood spliter New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Nice pictures Burner. I always think about taking my camera in the wood but never get around to it.
  8. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Nice shots Burner, i really like them all, especially the bird shots. You guys are right, it is a titmouse....are 4 and five swallows? Remind me of a barn swallow. Anyway, I wanted to inquire as to what kind of camera you have? It really takes some nice picutures and obviously compact enough to carry in the woods. Hear you on the rotating schedule, i work a 24/7 shop that rotates every month from nights to days and jumps forward during that time too. Have to cary a schedule just to know when to go to work and when you should be sleeping.

cass
  9. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks, I appreciate it. 4 and 5 are Eastern Bluebirds I'm pretty sure, but like I said I'm just a novice when it comes to birds. The camera is a Canon S5 (8MP) that I got 2 years ago. Its not all that compact - similar in appearance to a SLR but a little smaller and lighter than those. One nice thing about the S5 is you can get an adapter ring that lets you put on regular SLR accessories like filter and such. All these shots are unfiltered though - just the camera. I'm already carrying a bow and a folding chair and small gear bag so throwing the camera in (and tripod) isnt too big a deal. When I go into the woods I'm loaded up pretty good lol.

Yeah our operation is 24/7 two shift 6-6. We are on a 5 week rotation thats balanced so we work the exact same # of days and nights. Kinda like this:
    _MTWTFSS
    1NNNNOOO
    2DDDONNN
    3OOODDDD
    4OOOOOOO
    5RRRRRRR
    N is nights, D is days, O is off, and R is releif (on call). There are a total of 5 shifts so at any given time there is one shift on each of those weeks. It works out well but does require flipping you schedule 12hrs somewhate frequently (minumum 4 times in 5 weeks) but depending on your relief schedule it isnt unheard of to have to work a day, then a night, then a day in one week, then the next week starts back on nights! Saving grace is getting a week off every 5.
  10. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the info.....man, that schedule is rough. We have a guy that was with PACOM that wants us to go to a similar schedule. I'm gettting too old for 12's let alone changing shift like that. Sounds similar to the schedule they use in the J-2 shop also. Hard to do for extended times.

I thought the birds might have been bluebird....not quite dark enough for swallow. Anyway, thanks for the info on the camera...keep it up, you take great shots....enjoy the jerkey :).

cass
  11. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I've been on the schedule now for 5 years... my shift lead took a retirement package this year, he was 56 and worked for the company since he was 18. He was on a rotating shift for almost 40 years! Now during his time the actual shift schedule has changed, he worked at a power plant for almost 30 of those years and they are on a very similar but different rotation. Pretty much everyone in the power industry is on a similar rotation since its all 24x7 and they never want one shift to be better than another - like you would get all the new guys on the straight nights, etc. I like it because I sometimes get days off during the week, a couple weekends off, and a whole week off every 5. And the on-cal week if you take it off is only 32hrs and then you have 2 weeks off straight. So there are advantages.
  12. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Tufted titmouse
    Eastern bluebird
    Red-bellied woodpecker

nice pics!

I particularly love how you caught the (female) red bellied storing food!