Will 5' of 2" OAK be ok on P61A ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
I need just about 5' of OAK tube to get above my fireplace block off. I've seen where people use 2" tube with the P61 by putting a muffler adapter on the inlet tube but how long is still safe at that diameter? The actual size of the inlet is 2-3/4" to begin with, thus my concern. So far I have not found 2-3/4" or 3" tubing anywhere but 2" is available everywhere !

Reactions: Manitou
I think the oak tube goes inside the stove, this is hindsight.

The 5' of 2" tube will be less restriction than my 13' of 3".

Does the p61a have a cover with a perforated knockout/cutout in the back cover? That is intended for a 2" tube, cutting it for a 3" and making it look respectable is a pain.

I used 3" galvanized vent pipe, same tubing as hvac duct, 3" because i went about 13' with a few 90's and wanted it to flow well. Also, thru the wall i used 4" with a screen built in and a rain cover, the screen mesh is about 3/8", low restriction but won't keep the insects out. The big box store have it, my came from menards, about $110.
The outside of the stove oak intake is 2-3/4", i wrapped a 3/4" wide by 3/32" thick aluminum strip around the oak tube on the stove to take up the difference between the 3"id tube and gave it a good coat of silicon to seal and glue it together. That was second attempt, first attempt was a 1/8" filler strip, 3" - 2-3/4" = 1/4"/2 = 1/8", simple, wrong, the tubing isn't very round, the piece i made wasn't very round and the oak intake isn't very round, just didn't fit. The 3/32" fit well.

I think the oak tube goes inside the stove, this is hindsight.

The 5' of 2" tube will be less restriction than my 13' of 3".

Does the p61a have a cover with a perforated knockout/cutout in the back cover? That is intended for a 2" tube, cutting it for a 3" and making it look respectable is a pain.

I used 3" galvanized vent pipe, same tubing as hvac duct, 3" because i went about 13' with a few 90's and wanted it to flow well. Also, thru the wall i used 4" with a screen built in and a rain cover, the screen mesh is about 3/8", low restriction but won't keep the insects out. The big box store have it, my came from menards, about $110.
The outside of the stove oak intake is 2-3/4", i wrapped a 3/4" wide by 3/32" thick aluminum strip around the oak tube on the stove to take up the difference between the 3"id tube and gave it a good coat of silicon to seal and glue it together. That was second attempt, first attempt was a 1/8" filler strip, 3" - 2-3/4" = 1/4"/2 = 1/8", simple, wrong, the tubing isn't very round, the piece i made wasn't very round and the oak intake isn't very round, just didn't fit. The 3/32" fit well.
Someone some time back posted a part number for a Walker exhaust pipe adapter from Summit Racing ( autoparts). As I recall it was 2-3/4 inside on one end and 2" outside on the other. So it slipped over the intake end of the P61A inlet and the 2" OAK fit over the 2" end on the other. But I was concerned about restriction since I need to run this 5 ft.. Course in a search I don't seem to be finding an adapter from Walker with those dimensions either and don't have the link the poster supplied of course. I have Wed off, was hoping to scrape this stuff together and install then. But it's looking like in Nov I will be retired, so I'll have plenty of time on my hands then.

The manual should tell you. Mine was fine with 2" up to 6' I believe. I had a longer run so I went to 3".

The manual should tell you. Mine was fine with 2" up to 6' I believe. I had a longer run so I went to 3".
The manual seems to just reference the Harman kit. Contact your dealer type thing.

I have an Englander so I don't know how it works with them. I'm guessing it's pretty standard for all of them. I'll check my manual to make sure it's 6'.

But I still don't know if I can run 2" OAK on my p61.

Dryer vent setup will cost you about $50 by the time you're done. Works like a charm.

you might call a few local furnace place's looking for Flexible Aluminum Gas Vent

price is right, didn't look at shipping thou
http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.co...DkRyQhiLFUvUVjJuH19PlkflwL6irXoJiwaAloQ8P8HAQ
you might call a few local furnace place's looking for Flexible Aluminum Gas Vent

price is right, didn't look at shipping thou
http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.co...DkRyQhiLFUvUVjJuH19PlkflwL6irXoJiwaAloQ8P8HAQ
Yes good ! I called the plumbing and heating supplier this morning but they weren't open today. Now I know to look for flexible gas vent though. I had been looking for dryer vent and most dryers today are 4".

Glad it's what you're looking for, i had just googled 4" flex pipe, it was the top of the page. wish i'd looked before i did mine.

Glad it's what you're looking for, i had just googled 4" flex pipe, it was the top of the page. wish i'd looked before i did mine.
Hey I ran 26 ft of liner last year, went with the dealer figuring good stuff if not cheap. It's all over online for about half the cost. It was nothing but single wall Duravent. I was unsure about adapters etc so went the Dealer route. Done deal now, just sayin !

Status
Not open for further replies.