Will a 5" liner work for a NC30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
Well, I got up on the roof to sweep the chimney for my fireplace insert and while I was up there I checked the other flue that leads to the basement. That one is lined from top to bottom with a rigid liner. It appears to be heavy gauge galvanized? But it looks like it's only 5-inch.

Will I have to re-line for the Englander 30? This liner goes from the basement up past two stories so it looks like about a 28-foot rise. The liner for my living room fireplace is about 22 feet and the basement is directly below that.

If I have to reline - who do you guys recommend for purchasing flexible liner kits from?

I think BB runs his on a 5 1/2 and I run my BK on a 5 1/2 without trouble. Not sure how the 5 would work, you could be our first! :)

What type of appliance was hooked to this before? Before even considering experimenting with this undersized flue, you need to be certain that it is approved for wood stove use.

pen

pen said:
What type of appliance was hooked to this before? Before even considering experimenting with this undersized flue, you need to be certain that it is approved for wood stove use.

pen

^ +1 The size (inside diameter) might work just fine, but before you go hooking up a solid fuel-burning appliance to this thing you need to identify just what it is, in terms of configuration, material, and temperature certification. Rick

ETA: If, in fact, it is galvanized pipe of some sort, it's a non-starter.

My guess at that size an oil or gas furnace. Galv pipe is a no go for a wood burner.

Is there room to go bigger if you pulled the galv pipe out?

It was connected to a natural gas boiler. This is a liner that runs through a clay tile flue (13x13). I have three flues running up the same stone chase. One for the boiler, and two for wood fireplaces. I have a fireplace insert in the living room.

For the basement I got an NC-30. I was thinking I could connect it to the old boiler flue since it was already lined. But it appears I will have to fork out the jing for a SS liner. So now I've gotta decide whether to pull-and-re-line the boiler flue or somehow bust out cinder block and get at the fireplace flue.

It sounds like you have a long, internal flue.
It should draft like a bandit. The only issue you
could have is if you have a sizable door - smoke
could occasionally escape upon opening, if that were the case.

Otherwise, I would think that it would work fine.....

Stump_Branch said:
My guess at that size an oil or gas furnace. Galv pipe is a no go for a wood burner.

Is there room to go bigger if you pulled the galv pipe out?

Galvinized pipe hooked to a wood burner is NOT a good idea

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Gotcha on the no galvanized. But what is the danger? Is it that the temps vaporize the zinc?

It's just not rated for solid fuel, and if it's like the one in my old furnace / water heater chimney it's very light weight. There's a good chance it could deform from the higher temperatures.

steve

Gauge, integrity (probably snaplock), zinc gassing are issues I see. Corrosion would be another if it has been used for high sulfur heating oil.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Gotcha on the no galvanized. But what is the danger? Is it that the temps vaporize the zinc?

I believe the others have covered the topic well with regard as to why not. Certainly your choice. Wouldn't be mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.