Will a Stihl ms390 handle this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HeatsTwice

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
A guy near me was taking down a few large Doug Fir trees and asked me if I wanted the wood. I said "sure". Now that all six trailer dumps have been delivered, I am wondering if I've got enough saw given I only have the ms390 with a 25" blade. Any thoughts?

0.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.5.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG IMG_7569.JPG IMG_7574.JPG IMG_7585.JPG

Last edited:
It's a professional series 65cc saw. Why wouldn't it? I find it weird that you own a pro saw but are clueless about what it can do. I'd have no problem cutting this with my 261 with 18" bar

Reactions: ClintonH
The operators skill level is the only potential limiting factor in this equation.
Git-r-dun! :cool:

A lot of work without the right equipment.

You can easily cut 40”. Keep your chain sharp. Try and keep the buck lined up. Don’t get pinched.

Take your time
Make sure you have the saw tuned right,with good mix.
Keep your chain sharp and air cleaner clean.
Enjoy the free wood
But...
If you need an excuse to buy a big saw,and you have a life partner...
Here it is.

Trick question? Why not?
It's a professional series 65cc saw. Why wouldn't it? I find it weird that you own a pro saw but are clueless about what it can do. I'd have no problem cutting this with my 261 with 18" bar
No. Not a trick quetion.

I know what it (the ms390) can do. I've owned it for 12 years and done a lot with it over that time. I guess I'm just hoping someone would tell me to go out and buy a bigger one since this load of logs is so huge. As mentioned, it will take a lot of time to get buck up all of this.

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
I've dropped white pines that were over 3 feet in diameter with my 290. You can handle that.

Reactions: HeatsTwice
The 390 can handle that. But if you need an excuse to get a bigger saw, you now have it.
For the record a 390 is considered a mid range saw, it is in the farm/ranch series. Not a pro saw.

A guy near me was taking down a few large Doug Fir trees and asked me if I wanted the wood. I said "sure". Now that all six trailer dumps have been delivered, I am wondering if I've got enough saw given I only have the ms390 with a 25" blade. Any thoughts?

View attachment 312805 View attachment 312807 View attachment 312808 View attachment 312809 View attachment 312810 View attachment 312811 View attachment 312812 View attachment 312813 View attachment 312814 View attachment 312815 View attachment 312816
Earlier this year I ran our MS390 with a 25 inch bar and chain, I didn't have any problems. Next week I'll be running that same setup on a topped off beech.

104_3386.JPG

my 029 super has handled a lot more than that. Don't be a poser just start cuttin!

The 390 can handle that. But if you need an excuse to get a bigger saw, you now have it.
For the record a 390 is considered a mid range saw, it is in the farm/ranch series. Not a pro saw.
Sure but from what I gather, I'm not sure going pro is such an advantage for an occasional user - but I know this has been hashed out for years on this site. - I really shouldn't have said anything. But lets bring it on again - already.

Fyi, all I use my saws for is cutting firewood and an occasional 2 foot diameter tree - once every 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Cut some 40"+ red oaks with a 390, 25" bar. Buried full, let 'er rip.

Earlier this year I ran our MS390 with a 25 inch bar and chain, I didn't have any problems. Next week I'll be running that same setup on a topped off beech.

View attachment 312843
Nice, but those are smaller than what I have on my hands now. In a way you are lucky. The load I got came as a total supprise.

I've gotta figure out the right approach. Current plan:

1) Put some 2 inch dogs (spikes) on the 390 (for leverage). - yes I know I will loose bar length but I've always wanted to try ones that are better than the toothpicks that come stock.
2) By a new chisel toothed chain to replace the "short in the tooth" one I currently are am running.
3) Get a lot of gas mix, bar oil, and go to town.

Thanks for the info/perspective.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I think the bigger challenge is how to handle/position the logs safely for cutting unless you have a grapple or something.

A couple of chain and keep them sharp ... Let er rip ...
ruthe-biber.gif

Not really. Start from the top and roll off the chunks as you cut. I really don’t see why this is tricky. It looks normal to me. Am I missing something?
pic 7659 looks like things need to be moved before I risk breaking a leg when it rolls with me on top.

I know what it (the ms390) can do. I've owned it for 12 years and done a lot with it over that time. I guess I'm just hoping someone would tell me to go out and buy a bigger one since this load of logs is so huge. As mentioned, it will take a lot of time to get buck up all of this.
Okay, as one of the senior HP junkies of this forum (Jags... what happened to you?), I'll be the jerk:

Yes, you will want a bigger saw.

Honestly the MS-391 will plow thru fir with a 20" bar just fine, all day long. So, you cut from both sides, and you can swing stuff as large as Ø38", when needed. But a bigger saw will do it faster!

I don't usually cut big fir like that for firewood, we're drowning in more oak and ash than I can ever find the time to cut here, so anything else just tends to be left for nature. But if I were cutting hardwood logs that diameter, I'd be using my 85cc 064 AV with the 28" bar and full-chisel chain. In softwood, I might be tempted to buy some full-chisel chain for my 36" bar, as I suspect it could work well enough. Presently, I only have skip chain for the 36" bar, since... hardwood.

Don't discount the idea of a second-hand saw, if buying something big. Pro saws last damn near forever in our usage pattern. Mine is old enough to lack a decomp valve, which means a very hard pull, but that just keeps the lightweights away from it. ;lol

Last edited:
Here's the post you are looking for...
That 390 is to small you will be at it for a month and probably burn up your saw.
So quick befor they are out of stock go buy a MS 500
Thank Me Later

Here's the post you are looking for...
That 390 is to small you will be at it for a month and probably burn up your saw.
So quick befor they are out of stock go buy a MS 500
Thank Me Later
Yes. Exactly. Thats how I burned up my last saw.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Nice, but those are smaller than what I have on my hands now. In a way you are lucky. The load I got came as a total supprise.

I've gotta figure out the right approach. Current plan:

1) Put some 2 inch dogs (spikes) on the 390 (for leverage). - yes I know I will loose bar length but I've always wanted to try ones that are better than the toothpicks that come stock.
2) By a new chisel toothed chain to replace the "short in the tooth" one I currently are am running.
3) Get a lot of gas mix, bar oil, and go to town.

Thanks for the info/perspective.
We're looking forward to the pictures. 👍

(Jags... what happened to you?)
Someone hacked my account and posted in my name.
I would have recommended a ms880.