Will I need water run to my barn for Econoburn install??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4hiswork

Hearth Supporter
Apr 4, 2010
Western Kentucky
Been looking at the installation instructions and I am not sure if I will need fresh water for the install. Barn is about 80 feet from the house, I am running electric in a trench by itself and then the pex in a trench by itself.

I have my Tarm installed in my shop and I have no water supply plumbing. I initially pressurized the system from a hose to the house 100' away. The need to add water additional later is just about non-existent. But if the need arises later, the easy way I found is to have a fill valve at a high point in the system, run the system hot so it is up to near maximum pressure, have a valve going to the pressure tank, shut the valve off to isolate the pressure tank, as the system cools empty capacity will build in the system, open the high point valve and add or pour in the water needed, close the high point valve, open the pressure tank valve, and the system now will have the extra water it needed. You may have to open the high point valve slightly after doing this to bleed off any air that may be trapped in the pipe to the high point valve.

The BioMass is in a barn 150' behind the house and my autofill valve is in the root cellar not far from the heat exchanger. No water supply in my barn. It's all in the closed system.

I ran a 3/4" black poly water line out to my boiler out building just in case.Ididnt get it hooked up right away but after I did man it is so handy to have the water out there!I hooked up a auto fill-pressure reducing valve with manual shut off directly to the boiler plumbing . In my opinion ,on my system with alot of different runs,and zones going to 2 different buildings it really helped to have that constant pressure to get all of the air out of the system with out over filling it. In any case I would put the line in the trench anyway.Its not really that much extra cost. Also I put 2 seperate 1" black irrigation water lines in the trench just for future use for extra control wiring or whatever.Hard to do anything after the trench is filled.

I've had several occasions to add water to my system (bleeding air, swapping pumps, etc) but I do not have my boiler hard plumbed to water supply. You can buy fittings at Home Depot/Lowes that will allow you to run your garden hose right into one of your drain/fill points. Quite painless. It's also a good way to test your overpressure valve (whether on purpose or accident, ha)...

A closed hydronic system should never need to add water so I guess not, but don't forget to test/clean the LWCO once in a while and there shouldn't be a problem. They're not fool-proof and they do foul rather frequently (especially on a steam system). The more water you use the higher the likelyhood. I'd throw some polypipe into the trench while it was open regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.