Will Rustoleum High heat paint work inside stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
I want to paint at least the side walls inside my P61. It has some rust now, got to sand etc. But then I want to paint it. I'm thinking of using Rustoleum flat black spray rated for 2000 deg.

No. If there is a paint that can stand up to direct flame, I do not know of it.

Is the concern for the rust aesthetic? Or is your concern that the rust will cause a problem?

Reactions: alternativeheat
No. If there is a paint that can stand up to direct flame, I do not know of it.

Is the concern for the rust aesthetic? Or is your concern that the rust will cause a problem?
The flame is not against the sides of the P61A though. I'd just like to coat the metal. I see others on here seem to paint the insides of there stoves. if mine had been painted it would likely not have rusted. And yes it is pretty ugly actually ! I tried a wire wheel in my drill and it did not take it off but I think mostly the bristles were too soft.

Any paint will burn off inside the stove. Look at all the different companies and see if they paint the inside of the stoves. You might try to paint it in the spring after you do the final cleaning but don't expect even the high temp stuff to last when it is applied to the inside of a stove.

Ok then. So much for the paint idea.

The flame is not against the sides of the P61A though. I'd just like to coat the metal. I see others on here seem to paint the insides of there stoves. if mine had been painted it would likely not have rusted. And yes it is pretty ugly actually ! I tried a wire wheel in my drill and it did not take it off but I think mostly the bristles were too soft.
Many people here [myself included] Spray the whole inside of the stove including burn pot, ash pan etc with Plain cooking Spray after spring cleaning to
keep ahead of any rust and this includes putting a box of DampRid inside the stove thruout the non-heating season. Covering outside exhaust vent and OAK vent helps also.
btw:
The Rustoleum Flat Black works perfect for The Outside of the stove...
my hopper lid area got all scratched up last year from the constant open/shut of the lid latch.
[someone here who's Red' fingernails we're an inch or more longer than mine]

Last edited:
I
Many people here [myself included] Spray the whole inside of the stove including burn pot, ash pan etc with Plain cooking Spray after spring cleaning to
keep ahead of any rust and this includes putting a box of DampRid inside the stove thruout the non-heating season. Covering outside exhaust vent and OAK vent helps also.
I know Tony . I had my coal stove in place where this P61 is now and it never had gotten any significant rust and I never even had a topper on the vent.. I didn't treat it with spray this spring just figuring the same would happen with the P61. I was wrong. I have an air conditioner in a window right next to the stove and I think with the P61 being more air tight it got condensation inside. We had some nasty humid weather before I got the ac going. I got the rust off the burn pot but the sides are more stubborn and it's rough rust too, it going to collect ash well ! I don't think rain got down the vent system, the little ash that was left in there since spring was all dry powder. No sign of water having been in there. But what is done is done, can't roll backwards only forward..

cooking spray is prob on the right track - think seasoning cast iron light coat of oil heat then repeat eventually will build up a coating except right over area with flames

I want to paint at least the side walls inside my P61. It has some rust now, got to sand etc. But then I want to paint it. I'm thinking of using Rustoleum flat black spray rated for 2000 deg.

Stove Bright High Temperature Paint is used by many manufacturers to paint the metal inside the fire box on wood stoves, pellet stoves and gas fireplace units. The product is available in aerosol or brush-on formulations. Here is a link to the Stove Bright User Guide: http://forrestpaint.com/stove-bright/stove-bright-user-guide/

You can find more information at: www.forrestpaint.com or www.stovebright.com

You can contact me with questions: [email protected]

Pete Bouchard
FORREST Technical Coatings

It would be hard to tell if a wood stove's interior was ever painted after a week of 24/7 burning.

This is an old thread. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.