Will small stove work for a 30x40 garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have a 3 bay garage 30 x 40 that I am wondering if I could heat with a small wood burning stove. Unfortunately, I have to leave the doors open so it is like one wall is missing. I am in SC and it is in the 20s right now but we don't have many days that get this cold. I am trying to figure out what to expect if I put the money into this? Do you think I could get a 10 degree temp increase or would it only be warm next to the stove?

As long as you have to leave the doors open, unless you were working right next to the stove I'd say it would be wasted heat. Also, check local codes before thinking too strongly about a wood stove in the garage. Some might not allow it.

I would think a gas IR heater would work better as it heats the objects and not the air.

Matt

The other problem or thing to consider is most places frown upon having a wood burning solid fuel stove that is utilized in a garage because of the fuel stored there.

pen

Uh oh, never thought of that. I was planning on turning the room above my garage into a saloon next year and putting a small stove in there. Would I too be facing code problems doing that? I dont use the garage for vehicles, just for storing furniture and a workshop.

logger said:
Uh oh, never thought of that. I was planning on turning the room above my garage into a saloon next year and putting a small stove in there. Would I too be facing code problems doing that? I dont use the garage for vehicles, just for storing furniture and a workshop.

So long as there is no gasoline or other liquid fuels there you should be OK. But i'd certainly check w/ your insurance company and local codes people first just to cover your rear.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.