1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Will standing dead trees season faster?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Knots, Mar 13, 2013.

1. happycamper

happycamper New Member

i was told never to burn pine wood

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    As long as it's dry, it's not a problem. Out west some folks burn nothing but Pine because it's all they've got...and they live to tell about it. ==c
    What stove do you have?
  3. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Pine burns very well, nice and hot..just not as dense as hardwoods so the burns are shorter than say Oak. But because it is less dense it dries out in less than 1/3 of the time
  4. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Funny thing is, the people who give out this advice are 9 times out of 10 the same people who burn green wood.
    Next time someone tells you that just tell them they are misinformed, and that there are people who burn pine almost exclusively. Me being one of them. ==c
    Trilifter7 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Be very careful when felling your dead tree's. An employee of a friend of mine was killed by a widow maker from a dead tree.
    I ringed a white oak this winter that I am going to drop around the end of the summer (when thing dry up), but I am still figuring a good two years before it is ideal.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum happycamper.

Don't feel badly. Most folks have heard that old wives tale over and over. They don't understand how some of these guys can do it either but in some areas, pine is all they have. Give it time to dry and it will be fine.

Really what started this goes back many, many moons. Most everyone years ago (and sadly still lots of them) cut their wood in the fall to burn that winter. The chimney gets gunked up. Throw in some fresh cut pine and watch what happens! Pitch gets hot fast, chimney gets hot fast, gunk in chimney catches fire......and the pine got the bad word because they though it was the pine's fault. Not so! The fault was first getting the chimney all gunked up and the second fault was burning that fresh cut pine. Hope this helps to understand why pine gets the bad word. Folks in the know have no problem burning pine.
    raybonz likes this.
  7. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Absolutely nothing better than standing air dried wood.
  8. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    I could, right now, get 30 cords of pine from the property of people that I know who are afraid to burn it, so it's just sitting there rotting. (Well, not RIGHT now because it's dark outside.) I am the ONLY person that I know, apart from this forum, that burns pine. My FIL was helping me haul in wood a few weeks ago and part of the stacks was a few pieces of pine that blew down in the driveway. He said, "You better be careful burning this stuff." It was 5 pieces! If it's that bad, not only should I not put it in my stove, I shouldn't even let it on the property!

Now having ranted, I will say that most of what I burn is oak - MUCH longer burn times and more heat. I don't go out of my way to get pine, but to be afraid of burning it is a bit crazy.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    That is a great point! I'll remember that the next time I'm arguing with someone about this.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.