will the heat get out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Will setting a free standing woodstove back in a fireplace prevent or inhibit the heat from spilling into the room? I have a free standing stove that I'm going to be putting in a enclosed (noncombustible) basement outside accessway that is opened to the cellar. The best thing I can describe it as, is putting a stove in a fireplace. Yes I'm getting a blower too....Englander 30NCL

If this "fireplace" is exposed to the earth on the other side, you are really gonna loose tons of heat trying to warm up Mother earth. A fan will help, but it is hard to win a temperature game with the ground.

A rear heat shield for the stove will help reflect the heat forward as well as a block off plate at the fireplace damper area.

The stove does have a rear heat shield and the enclosed area is all block....no ground to heat....I know I'll be losing some heat....picture it as a little cement block room off the main basement area....the stove will be placed near the front of this little room.

Todd said:
A rear heat shield for the stove will help reflect the heat forward as well as a block off plate at the fireplace damper area.

Ooooh, now thats a good idea. If this setup is what I am picturing, a heat shield on 3 sides may be the ticket.

Edit: whats on the "other" side of the block, dirt or air?

The other side of the block is dirt....I know....I know loss of heat.....maybe, keeping safe combustible distances, I could insulate that....however I seem to remember reading on here that its 48 inches to noncombustibles....

Woodsmoke said:
....however I seem to remember reading on here that its 48 inches to noncombustibles....

Nope! Not even an unregistered pre-epa requires that much. Grab the manual for your stove, it should say. Heat shields reduce the overall distance to combustibles. And.....you have block walls, they are non-combustible.

Edit: unless you are talking about ceiling height???

I don't have side heat shields...however its totally enclosed on all side by block...even the ceiling is cement...there is a porch poured over top of it....I'm drilling a hole with a hammer drill to get my chimney through....the insurance guy is coming over tonight to check it out before I start drilling...wanted his okay insurance wise before I started working.....so...maybe I could do insulation on the back and side walls as long as I observed combustible clearances....

This is my 30-NC sitting half in and half out of a masonry fireplace with the rear and side heat shields. The side shields are to direct the convection air up from the sides of the stove. The blower blows the air from the rear and side shields right out into the room.

Attachments

• new brownie.jpg
    new brownie.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 633
It sure couldn't hurt (assuming that clearances can still be maintained).

(hey, old timer, your back. Good to see ya)

Edit: removed part of the post due to stupid (already answered) request.

Brother Bart!
Nice stove....I'm one of your groupies!!!....anyway, you think the side heat shields help alot?

Woodsmoke said:
...anyway, you think the side heat shields help alot?

Yep. When the stove is rolling you can hold a match at the top of the shields and the convection current will blow it out. Lotta heat moving.

There isn't much to them. Either you or the local sheet metal shop can probably make some. I bought mine from ESW to keep Mike and Corie's profit sharing rolling.

Edit: Remember that you are going to need a way to control the blower. It has a variable rheostat on it but it is dead center on top of the blower housing. Which will be back in that hole behind the stove.

Well I gotta order the blower, so maybe I'll just get those also....

Woodsmoke said:
Will setting a free standing woodstove back in a fireplace prevent or inhibit the heat from spilling into the room? I have a free standing stove that I'm going to be putting in a enclosed (noncombustible) basement outside accessway that is opened to the cellar. The best thing I can describe it as, is putting a stove in a fireplace. Yes I'm getting a blower too....Englander 30NCL

I got through last season without a blower on my fireplace inserted stove. I must admit that I think the blower will make a big difference though.
BB, it's good to see ya man.

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 589
Status
Not open for further replies.