will this scenario pass code/inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
my hearth is 18" out from the opening
it is raised 9 1/2 inches
the summit (insert) i want i believe sticks out 6 inches do i have to extend my hearth?
also how much clearance do i need from the top of my liner to the top of my cap 8", 6" iis there a code or standard for that

then i am ok i have 18 inches from the opening or does it mean 18 from stove opening

@@$#@#$@$#@$@@#@@#
just when i thought this was gonna be a piece of cake!

Mike Wilson said:
You have to extend your hearth. I think the new NFPA code in the US is 18 inches from the opening.

Ad nauseum explanation of this fact to follow...

-- Mike

sorry to disappoint you the explainer which is your title the subject matter has been explained adequately enough

elkimmeg said:
Mike Wilson said:
You have to extend your hearth. I think the new NFPA code in the US is 18 inches from the opening.

Ad nauseum explanation of this fact to follow...

-- Mike

sorry to disappoint you the explainer which is your title the subject matter has been explained adequately enough

elk, can i take a piece hardybacker put some say 12" tiles on it and lay it if front of my existing hearth ..kinda a portable ext of hearth .. then the end of the season i could just pick it up?

That might work you have to check if any R value is needed from the stove manual

Manual says 16", but even so you will still have to add onto the existing hearth. From what Hogzwild has said, an immense amount of heat comes out of the front of that unit and you'll probably want every bit of 18" in front of it.

Remember everyone, the manual still trumps NFPA 211. The stove was tested before the change, so 16" is adequate. However, you should check with YOUR building inspector to make sure he wants what the manual says and not what the new NFPA 211 says.

the manual trumps NFPA till you need the inspector signature also the Manual call for compliance of current codes . The guy signing the permit trumps all other factors unless you want to go the appeal route. I hear in my state they are backlogged 2 years

Putting tile of the floor in front of the raised hearth is a great idea
I dont think R value is and issue because it is NOT UNDER THE STOVE as long as it is NON combustible.
Stove R factor Requirements are different because the amount of heat they radiat below the stoves due to short legs and ash pans.
Most steel stoves (Travis) just say 3/8 non combustable

If your hearth is raised and you are going to tile on the floor that is lower.
NO heat is going to Radiate on the floor because the stove will be back an up higher than the floor.

We do hearth pad extensions all the time.
just plop them down on top of the carpet and there you go
then you can pull it up out of the way in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.