Will to much draft put a fire out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Anyone still awake? i need help. I installed my old non-cat BK King in the shed today, i have 34' of single wall pipe inside and 6' of double wall pipe outside above the roof and it goes strait up. We are working on the Jeep tonight and we were getting cold so i started a fire in it and every time i shut the door the fire would go out leave the door open and it gets goin like crazy, i can hear the air being sucked in through the intake on the front of the stove, and theirs alot of it, so i closed the pipe flue down and still the same thing no fire with door shut. I thought If you had to much draft it would burn hotter, isn't that right. I have 5 yr old mulbury in it trying to burn. Any suggestions, cause all were getting done right now is drinkin alot of RUM to keep warm, looking at a cold fire. JD

Sounds like something might be plugged on the air intake...I find it hard to believe you are sucking more air through it than that big front door.

I would put that Rum down and check to see if your T-stat damper got hung up when you were movin the stove around.
This has nothing to do with your draft, BUT did you at least install your stove 18" or more off the floor in that awesome shop of yours. Now back to my Rum.
Cheers
N of 60.

You didn't leave a plug in the top of the flue did ya..... :red: I'm with North on the T-stat being hung up.

On another note how about an update on the new BKK? Is it keep-in ya nice and toasty?

Yep, first thing to check is the cap. Make sure the screen isn't plugged. But is sounds ok if the fire rages with the door open. Second thing to check, does this have a thermostatic damper on it? If so, make sure that is calling for heat and opening correctly. Last, ff the stove sat for a while, is it possible that the air control has rusted shut?

Yes i checked the pipe for something in it i won't make that mistake again. Its all used pipe i found between craigslist and local newspapers, so i have like a total of $35 into all of it, i double checked the pipe and cap as i was being winched up to install it, that was interesting. I know its not sucking more then though the door, but you can hear it sucking through the air intake from 3 feet away so thats why i thought it could be to much draft, but that should make the fire go like crazy. Looked at the T-stat it looks to be moving as it should. We ended up just leaving the door open, and only put a few pieces in at a time so it wouldn't overburn. I put the stove 36" off the ground so i wouldn't have to bend over to fill it, and so no one would run into it with anything, its high enough you can see it. I have a 30 x 40 shop inside of our big shed and thats where i put the stove, the rest of the shed is for the combines, planters and other tractors. So far im real impressed with the new King in the house, once i took the plug out of the pipe, haha. It hasn't been that cold yet 29 deg F last night, thats been the coldest, i like how i can turn the heat down and be comfertable while its not that cold out yet, but will see as it gets colder, but if it puts any heat out like this old one (when it works) i won't have anything to worry about. So back to the puzzle, Pipe and cap are clear, T-Stat moving, Well seasoned wood = no fire when door is shut, don't make sence, does it? JD

Is there somehow a way that the air intake below the stat-damper got blocked or restricted(RE:whistling noise) when the stove was put into place?

Good question, Im going to it check now, because thats a good way to explain the sound its making. JD

I had a broke fire brick that i replaced when i put the stove in the shop. I found 2 small pieces of that broken fire brick in the little valley under the T-Stat, so when i opened the flap all the way up it pushed down on the broken brick, and only had about a 1/8 inch hole to suck air through, with the flap opened up all the way you couldn't see the blocked air way, it was a pain in the butt trying to get them out. It's been going for the past hour and blowing real good heat so thanks everyone, I guess just looking at things and moving things around don't mean there working right. Thanks north for getting me to take a better look at it. JD

Still amazed at how tall your shop must be! either that or im not reading th 34' plus 6' correctly as being 40' total. That is 40 feet right? jk, rum induced i'm sure!!

man that thing must be a awesome shop to work in, sounds about the size of my uncles pole barn.. i cant believe that stove could heat an area that big... must really put out some heat!

Sorry, i have 34’ total pipe, single wall pipe inside and 6’ of double wall pipe outside, it's a staight shot up. Its a pole barn 120 x 60 with a dirt floor that we framed in a 30 x 40 insulated shop inside and put concrete floor in. so my shop is inside of the shed. JD

Status
Not open for further replies.