willow or ash (or something else)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
This was growing fairly close to a river about a 1/4 mile from my house.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMAG0005-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0005-hearth.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMAG0006-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0006-hearth.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 618
  • IMAG0007-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0007-hearth.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0008-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0008-hearth.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 591
I am 0-2 on the day but I am going with willow!

Leaf sure looks like willow but the bark looks a bit different from the willows we have.

I think it is black Willow. Doesn't look like any ash I am familiar with.

When I thinkin of Willow, I think of Weeping Willow. Just never seen a willow that big.

trguitar said:
The real question is: is it worth the scrounge?

Unless you are in dire need and it is super easy to get to I'd leave it if its willow........ash is another story though, worth some work. Sink your saw into it and you should be able to tell pretty quickly if it is softwood willow or hardwood ash.

The leaf looks a lot like a willow . . . bark is very odd looking compared to most of the willow I've seen.

The willow we have around here cuts easily, splits like dream & doesn't burn worth a damn. I can't burn it in the Atmos because it plugs the nozzle, it's the only wood that does this, Randy

100% not ash. It could be willow, they really seem to vary in bark appearance. Leaf looks like willow.

Cut up the tree today. After looking around the clearing at the other standing trees, I now believe this is big tooth aspen.

Can someone confirm? Don't seem to be a lot of BTUs, but it's a free scrounge and 1/4 mile from my house. Good shoulder season wood.

Here are pics of it split.

Attachments

• IMAG0019-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0019-hearth.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMAG0020-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0020-hearth.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG0021-hearth.jpg
    IMAG0021-hearth.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 309
Were the leave compound (multiple leaves per stalk) or simple (one leaf per stalk). By the serrated edge of the leave I would say that if compound it is walnut or butternut. If simple definately willow.

The leaf & a little reddish colored, I'll say willow.

Status
Not open for further replies.