winch amperage draw on my battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
im looking at a 1.9 HP 12 volt winch....3700 lb pull. Its a warn. I dont have amperage draw but do you think this will overwhelm my 12 volt small tractor battery? I know im not being very specific..but anyone else operating a simliar size winch on a 25 h.p. hobby tractor?

1.9hp x 746w/hp=1,417.4watts

P=VxI

I=P/V=1,417.4watts/12VDC=118.12 full load amps

It is considerably more than that for dc motor starting and inrush! Probably more like 200Amp.....

PWF did the math for ya, so I will do a bit of logistics.

Most of the hobby tractors have a reasonable generating capacity. Anywhere from 15 to 35 amps is pretty common. Lets say 20 amps of generation just for this discussions sake. If your using 100 amps for a minute, it will take a 20 amp charger at full bore 5 minutes to recharge. I think you may be surprised at how well it will keep up. Heck, they put 2500 pound winches on 4 wheelers.

You may want to consider how heavy your conducters need to be to handle 100-200 amps. I think I remember a thread on here where someone did some serious melting of theirs.

I can run my 8000 lb winch continuously with whatever little alternator is on my tractor.

Attachments

• wench2a.jpg
    wench2a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 378
Status
Not open for further replies.