Winch for Honda Foreman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
Ok...so I got the foreman stuck in the mud today. :sick: I have been considering a winch for a while and now I really want one. I want to install one on the front, under the rack and behind the brush guard. Is there a company that makes a mounting plate specifically for a foreman or do I have to make a custom one? Has anyone made one? Any recommendations on a winch? Thanks

My dads Foreman 400 came with a winch installed, so I'd assume that there should be some kind of mounting plate available. Granted, his is about 10 years old, so I'm not sure if the newer models are the same way.

Agent said:
My dads Foreman 400 came with a winch installed, so I'd assume that there should be some kind of mounting plate available. Granted, his is about 10 years old, so I'm not sure if the newer models are the same way.

That's how old mine is!

Mounting plates/bumpers are available. Bolt locations for all winches are universal but double check to make sure. I have a Sittybuilt XRC8 on my jeep. It was $330 shipped and came with a shnazzy little cover. A warn winch would have set me back $800 for a similar model but would have a lifetime warranty. The warranty on winches should be reviewed though. Warn will replace anything but it costs $100 in shipping every time. For me, I can buy a new XRC8 everytime I need one and be money ahead up to about 6 winches or so. Make sure you get a model that is sealed from water since on a 4wheeler you'll have it wet quite a bit.

seeyal8r said:
Mounting plates/bumpers are available. Bolt locations for all winches are universal but double check to make sure. I have a Sittybuilt XRC8 on my jeep. It was $330 shipped and came with a shnazzy little cover. A warn winch would have set me back $800 for a similar model but would have a lifetime warranty. The warranty on winches should be reviewed though. Warn will replace anything but it costs $100 in shipping every time. For me, I can buy a new XRC8 everytime I need one and be money ahead up to about 6 winches or so. Make sure you get a model that is sealed from water since on a 4wheeler you'll have it wet quite a bit.

+1 . . . Every ATV winch that I have seen fail or die has been due to water issues.

As for myself . . . I've seen so many ATV winches get fried or ruined (and since I am cheap) . . . so I ended up buying a hand-operated come-along . . . it's not quite as easy or speedy as a mounted, powered winch, but it's pretty portable (can use it front or back) and I can use it for other purposes.

An option for folks that are often riding with others is the Tiger Tail . . . but it's more for towing a person out when stuck vs. a self-rescue.

I have a Warn 2500 lb winch, mounted as you describe above, on my Foreman Rubicon. The only visible part of the winch is the fairlead and hook.

Electric winches are great...today i was hauling out a big load on the trailer and needed a little extra help getting up a muddy incline. Winch to the rescue.

Jack, I'll only warn you about some of the cheap winches. Some are very, very slow. Also, most winches have a tolerance for only short pulls and then you need to rest them lest they burn themselves up. But they sure are handy buggers. One other thing is that a remote switch is very handy especially when winding up the cable after finishing a job. With the remote you can stand in front and guide the cable back on. Without, you are blind as to how it is winding up.

I have a WARN 2500 on my Yamy Griz that has proved very worthy of the investment. Not sure the cost because I bought it all together as a package with the bike and plow but I do know it can lift the whole bike off the ground with plenty of power to spare.

Used it to haul telephone poles across my creek when building a bridge that are HEAVY so I know it would pull most of the wood I cut and has gotten my bike out of some sticky situations.

Like stoves - decide what you need and go one bigger. the little extra in cost will not be missed in the long run.

Also, you get what you pay for - cheap is cheap in this arena

Bob Urban

You can purchase mounting plates for any winch out there for any machine.

The winch you want is the Warn 3.0, 3000 lb winch. These winchs are designed just like Warn's 10,000 lb Jeep winches but in a smaller package. Most 2500 lb winchs have plastic gearing on the inside, and yes even the Warn's do! The 3.0 CID is all metal machined gearing, not cast or stamped, machined! It will last a lifetime. As someone said most winch failures are due to water issues. I had my 3.0 CID on a 2001 Honda TRX500FA Rubicon and was in the muck and water each and every time I had it out. The only thing that failed on it was the control module, and they sent me another one for nothing. After I received the second module that winch performed flawlessly, and like I said, I had it dunked in mud, water and the like each and every weekend. I couldn't kill it. You will pay more for it, but in the end it's well worth it when you are stuck in the back country with nobody else around!

Craig

hi all,
I've wondered about this for some time now............
The rated front rack capacity of these machines vs the weight of the winch ?
Seams that this addition would all but eliminate "rated" front rack usage ?
My friend has a winch and used it a few times. I can also say that from what i've seen
they are way under rated (frt rack capacity) and will take pretty much what you can put
on them. Nearly put one on my machine a couple years back after being stuck 2 times.
Not having anything to tie on to I opted for a set of big lug tires. Old tires were quite
worn and probably played a role in getting stuck in the first place but have not been stuck since.
Not getting stuck and having to get into the mud to hook up the winch is a plus for me.
Out back can get pretty muddy but have not had any problem with these big lug tires.
Just wanted to share this with those of you who get into the mud.
rustynut

Status
Not open for further replies.