Wind and stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Last night I loaded up the stove before bed got everything dialed in and was about to go to bed. I checked the stove one more time and the thermo read 800! (I moved it around and got some different readings) After some sweaty pacing I put some foil over the inlet in the back (don't know if it did anything). It was very windy last night and I could see the flames dancing when the wind blew. Can downdrafts like that over fire a stove? I am thinking yes but I want to check.

My set up

NC-13 hearth mounted
15' Flex King Liner (Insulated)

FireAnt said:
Last night I loaded up the stove before bed got everything dialed in and was about to go to bed. I checked the stove one more time and the thermo read 800! (I moved it around and got some different readings) After some sweaty pacing I put some foil over the inlet in the back (don't know if it did anything). It was very windy last night and I could see the flames dancing when the wind blew. Can downdrafts like that over fire a stove? I am thinking yes but I want to check.

My set up

NC-13 hearth mounted
15' Flex King Liner (Insulated)

No downdrafts will dump smoke into the room but can be caused by high wind, nearby tall trees etc.. With high winds I have to really close my air intake down to keep the stove from getting too hot and burning too quickly.. Been windy last 2 days here and cold so my secondary air is set real low and I mean barely open...

Ray

It would not be downdrafting in this case. More a case of wind induced updraft. Do you have a key damper in the flue?

Thanks guys! Updraft that makes much more sense. That's what was happening. I can't put a damper in due to the angle the pipe is off the stove. I have never had a problem like this before, just with the 50+ mph winds. If the winds ever get that bad again I will put a smaller load in or let the furnace kick on...

FireAnt said:
Thanks guys! Updraft that makes much more sense. That's what was happening. I can't put a damper in due to the angle the pipe is off the stove. I have never had a problem like this before, just with the 50+ mph winds. If the winds ever get that bad again I will put a smaller load in or let the furnace kick on...

Could you possibly reduce your intake air more? That may do the trick.. I had a pipe damper but when I had trouble getting it back in so it is out again.. If your gaskets are sealing well you should be able to choke that asir back quite a bit.. Do the dollar bill test to confirm a good seal..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.