Wind blown and ID help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I found a tree that had been wind blown and the top was laying on the ground. I cut the top up yesterday and then dropped the rest of the tree today.

I found the tree had a few small limbs with leaves still alive. I cannot find this tree in my book that is one of the best tree books around. I thought it was some kind of white oak, but I have some white oak pics and they dont match this tree.

Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks
Shipper

Attachments

• DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 333
It sorta looks like bur oak but the leaves are not quite right.

Looked in my book and...........Chinkapin Oak??????? grows in your area. The bark matches well too.

ckarotka said:
Looked in my book and...........Chinkapin Oak??????? grows in your area. The bark matches well too.
You might be right, my book says it likes limestone areas and I live near the limestone capital of the world I have been told. I will have to look on the ground for acorns as my book says it has nuts.lol

Thanks
Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I found a tree that had been wind blown and the top was laying on the ground. I cut the top up yesterday and then dropped the rest of the tree today.

I found the tree had a few small limbs with leaves still alive. I cannot find this tree in my book that is one of the best tree books around. I thought it was some kind of white oak, but I have some white oak pics and they dont match this tree.

Anyone know what this might be?

Thanks
Shipper

Good score! I agree that it's Chinkapin

I don't think that is chinkapin oak.

I've seen chinkapin oak and the leaves look more like chestnut oak - than what you have. Your oak doesn't have enough lobes to be chinkapin.

I think that is swamp white oak.

btw - all of the oaks mentioned are 'white oaks' and they will all make excellent firewood.

ckarotka said:

yeah, its certainly close and it could be chinkapin, but in the picture he posted the lobes looked too irregular for it though. Swamp white has fewer and more irregular lobes.

he could easily tell if his tree had any acorns on it - swamp white oak acorns grow on a long visible stalk - while most other white oaks acorns have a much shorter little stem connecting them to the twig. Also swamp white oak leaves are white/whitish underneath - which is why the latin name is Quercus bicolor (the bicolor part is referring to the two sides of the leaves being different colors).

either way it doesn't really matter as both are excellent firewood.

oaks can be tremendously hard to identify to species - especially since the leaves can look different even within the same individual tree depending on where on the tree the leaves are growing!!

FLINT said:
ckarotka said:

yeah, its certainly close and it could be chinkapin, but in the picture he posted the lobes looked too irregular for it though. Swamp white has fewer and more irregular lobes.

he could easily tell if his tree had any acorns on it - swamp white oak acorns grow on a long visible stalk - while most other white oaks acorns have a much shorter little stem connecting them to the twig. Also swamp white oak leaves are white/whitish underneath - which is why the latin name is Quercus bicolor (the bicolor part is referring to the two sides of the leaves being different colors).

oaks can be tremendously hard to identify to species - especially since the leaves can look different even within the same individual tree depending on where on the tree the leaves are growing!!

I'm not trying to be difficult. I use these I.D. threads to educate myself, so when some one says to me "do you want this tree" I can make a quick decision. Last year I scrounged a lot of cottonwood because I was dumb in the ways of the leaf.

Charlie

In the old days we had to learn the hard way by cutting and trying, did not take me long to figured out I liked Oak and ash and hated boxelder and cottonwood.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I use these I.D. threads to educate myself, so when some one says to me "do you want this tree" I can make a quick decision. Last year I scrounged a lot of cottonwood because I was dumb in the ways of the leaf.

Charlie[/quote]

haha, your not being difficult - if anything I am - I'm stubborn.

like I said before though - anyway you look at it, you have some kind of white oak which is awesome firewood.

Well I have looked at this in my book and what the pics show of the bark, its chinkapin and since I live on a limestone area, I would have to go with the chinkapin.

Also my farmer buddy came by and I showed him the wood and he agree's its chinkapin oak. Anyway it will be left for the 2011-12 burning. Never thought I would say that. :)

Shipper

ckarotka said:
FLINT said:
ckarotka said:

Charlie
Don't feel as your dumb in the ways of the leaf as you say, just feel you have to learn the ways of the leaf as we all have and I am still learning and I have been burning wood since 87. I used to burn only cottonwood and elm as that was all I had on my property up in northwest Indiana.

Shipper

Status
Not open for further replies.