Wind chill -41

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heading to the Big Sky area in a few weeks for skiing. I hope it's not that cold while I'm there. Skiing ain't fun when it's that cold.

It's -27F with the wind right now. I am certainly bringing in extra wood today. I think my 2300 eats wood at this temperatures faster than I can eat a bag of cookies. My house is well insulated but trying to heat 2500 square feet with a wood stove when it's -13 F isn't easy. lol.

Andrew

Reactions: Nelson
Its a balmy 2f with a windchill of -11F here. Typical Dec/Jan stuff.
It comes every year and it always catches us offguard!!

I always find that the coldest time of the year is mid early-mid Jan to mid Feb. December is normally warmer where I live due to the open water nearby. And I don't mean a bath tub ;)

Andrew

Dipped into the teens here last night with a breeze. Not considered cold where some of you are, but I have a fight on my hands with not much insulation. I let it drop to 65 in here yesterday and it's been a struggle to get it back. Just fired a load of White Oak that's been stacked 3 summers...seems to be taking off well, not hissing, so that's good. High today, mid 20s.

coldest time of the year is mid early-mid Jan to mid Feb. December is normally warmer where I live due to the open water nearby.
Probably about the same elsewhere, water or no water. Lowest average temps of the year here come about the third week in Jan. Everything seems to trail the sun by about a month...days get longer Dec. 21, starts to warm Jan 21.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Last year we hit -40°F windchills. It was the coldest it had been in 20 years if I recall. While the wood furnace was keeping it 68-70 overnight, in the am I fired the central furnace for a few cycles to take the load off the wood furnace. Talk about brutal.

The cold got to the east yesterday. Last night in north east PA was 19 and at 11AM today it's 21. Not expected to get any warmer. Snowing now.

It's actually been unseasonably warm in Alaska all winter.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141228/2014-may-be-first-year-ever-no-below-zero-temps-anchorage

Also according to the internet, it is currently a balmy 30 degrees at 7:00 am on Dec 31st in Fairbanks. It looks like the low for today there will be higher than at my house in North Carolina.

Yeah, its freaking great. I got called at 0530 to come into work early, it's exactly warm enough for the snow pack to be halfway melted on top. Slicker than snot roads, 9 miles one way. Worst road conditions I have seen since the last time it dipped above freezing after we had snowpack down, would have been November 2010.

Thank goodness I got to come in early while the roads were pretty empty of other drivers. About to leave now, hopefully folks are staying home in droves for the holiday.

The best part is when it re-freezes all the ice will be super smooth like the govt had been running Zamboni's instead of snowplows.

38 degrees and raining. What little snow we had is all but gone down here in Palmer/Wasilla/anchorage area. I think I've seen single digits one morning this whole winter.

I remember that 2010 storm you guys had up north poindexter. Rare for Fairbanks. Unfortunately all too common in southcentral these days. When I was a kid we used to get snow days off from school, now my kids get a handful of ice days off from school every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.