Wind power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaah. I think I like their patent on a rectangle with rounded corners better. :p

There are a number of better solutions to the renewable energy storage problem, that typically cost a few cents per kWh at large scale. But until RE reaches 20% of total capacity AND its cost beats conventional production by those few cents per kWh, they will not be deployed at scale.

How on earth can you get patents for technology which has been around for centuries. The Clem engine used a similar technology but at least the guy realised he could not patent it as the technology was already in use around the world only on a bigger scale.

If a stool has already been patented, you can still patent a chair, which is an improved stool with a back. If the stool patent hasn't expired, you have to license 'stool technology' to make and collect royalties on chairs. If the stool patent is expired, you are good to go.

IMO the patent system is perhaps the greatest innovation attributable to the US founders...a robust incentive system to move technology to the public domain (after the lucrative patent/license expires) rather than previously when **everything** was a trade secret and there was little innovation. Its a shame that its kinda a mess these days.

What really annoys me is open discussions I have had on forums regarding technology we have developed was ending up on US patents even though under UK patent rules the technology was not deemed patentable.

What really annoys me is open discussions I have had on forums regarding technology we have developed was ending up on US patents even though under UK patent rules the technology was not deemed patentable.
So then would a US patent make it unmarketable for a company in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.