1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wind power

Post in 'The Green Room' started by guy01, Dec 29, 2012.

1. guy01

guy01 Member

Loc:
    northern PA
    Check this out, my wife sometimes finds the coolest stuff for me to check out.
    http://tinyurl.com/brdy8y6
    Any of you seen this?
    Guy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Aaah. I think I like their patent on a rectangle with rounded corners better. :p

There are a number of better solutions to the renewable energy storage problem, that typically cost a few cents per kWh at large scale. But until RE reaches 20% of total capacity AND its cost beats conventional production by those few cents per kWh, they will not be deployed at scale.
  3. renewablejohn

renewablejohn Member

Loc:
    bolton england
    How on earth can you get patents for technology which has been around for centuries. The Clem engine used a similar technology but at least the guy realised he could not patent it as the technology was already in use around the world only on a bigger scale.
  4. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    If a stool has already been patented, you can still patent a chair, which is an improved stool with a back. If the stool patent hasn't expired, you have to license 'stool technology' to make and collect royalties on chairs. If the stool patent is expired, you are good to go.

IMO the patent system is perhaps the greatest innovation attributable to the US founders...a robust incentive system to move technology to the public domain (after the lucrative patent/license expires) rather than previously when **everything** was a trade secret and there was little innovation. Its a shame that its kinda a mess these days.
  5. renewablejohn

renewablejohn Member

Loc:
    bolton england
    What really annoys me is open discussions I have had on forums regarding technology we have developed was ending up on US patents even though under UK patent rules the technology was not deemed patentable.
  6. guy01

guy01 Member

Loc:
    northern PA
    So then would a US patent make it unmarketable for a company in the UK?
  7. renewablejohn

renewablejohn Member

Loc:
    bolton england
    It stops you getting any funding due to the potential patent dispute.
  8. guy01

guy01 Member

Loc:
    northern PA
    I guess I'll go read about patent law till it puts me to sleep.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz