1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

window clearance for vent (pictures added)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by hotstovecoolmusic, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotstovecoolmusic

hotstovecoolmusic New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Greetings,

I'm getting a pellet stove (Breckwell Big E) next week and have 3 installers coming to give estimates.
    I'm confused about window clearances for the vent pipe.

I plan on having a snorkel vent about 6ft vertical. There are two windows in the vicinity of the install site.

I'm reading a Simpson pdf file that mentions NFPA 211 rules. I assume I need to adhere to these rules.

They mention:

"exit terminal of a mechanical draft
    system, other than a direct vent appliance
    (sealed combustion system appliance), shall be located in accordance with the following..."

1. Is a pellet stove, with snorkel vent, considered a direct vent appliance?

The instructions continue:

"Not less than 4 ft.(1.2m)
    below, 4 ft.(1.2m) horizontally
    from or 1 ft. (304mm) above any
    door, window or gravity air inlet
    into any building"

2. One of my windows is less than 4ft. away. It is a bay window, sealed shut, that leads out to an enclosed porch.
    Will this window cause problems for me? I thought I read somewhere that clearance for a non-opening window was 8". Also, the window would around the corner from the vent and does not go to the outside of the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Tom

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    The pictures you show look like a legal install - remember, the clearances you noted are for the termination (open end) of the vent. The non-opening bay window around the corner to the porch is not an issue.
  3. jacobaimhoff

jacobaimhoff New Member

Loc:
    Arlingon, TX
    if the cap to the exaust is above the window to the right by atleast one foot then you have nothing to worry about, the inside dimensions are fine as long as that corner of the wall is atleast three inches away from the exaust
  4. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    Use the 3 ft sections of vent pipe they look nice and get extra support brackets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.